Police Beat: Mar. 21

Driver urinates in his car before DUI arrest

A non-UA-affiliated man was arrested for driving under the influence after improperly parking on the sidewalk by the Student Union Memorial Center on March 4.

Around 11:20 a.m., the UAPD chief of police was driving in the area of the union and reported an improperly parked vehicle on the sidewalk by the roundabout on the north side of the union.

At the time, there were many pedestrians walking in the area.

The chief made contact with the driver and needed additional assistance because he noticed that the driver showed symptoms of intoxication.

The chief said that it looked like the driver had urinated on himself.

Another officer arrived and made contact with the driver.

The driver admitted to drinking the previous night but said he had stopped awhile ago.

The driver, a paraplegic, also said that he was embarrassed because he had just urinated in his pants after trying to urinate into a bottle.

The officer also learned that the driver was waiting for his girlfriend to get out of class and meet him at the car.

However, the girlfriend did not appear in the 20 to 30 minutes the officer was talking with the driver.

The officer arrested the driver for driving under the influence and transported him to UAPD with a UA golf cart.

The driver’s blood-alcohol content was .124 and .121 after the deprivation period and was cited and released to a third party.