Police Beat: March 24

Suspicious bulge

Three UA students were cited for possession of marijuana at 11 p.m. in the Sixth Street Parking Garage on March 6. One of the students was also cited for possession of drug paraphernalia.

After receiving a tip, two University of Arizona Police Department officers arrived at the parking garage to investigate possible marijuana use. They discovered three students hiding behind a dumpster with a strong smell of marijuana around them.

When asked what they were doing, the students refused to respond. An officer noticed a plastic Skippy peanut butter jar on the ground, and asked what was in it. Once again, the students didn’t respond.

At this point, another officer arrived on the scene. He reported that as he walked toward the parking garage, he had seen a plastic baggie falling through the air. The officer had opened the bag, discovered it contained marijuana and a pipe, and joined the other officers in the garage.

Two of the three students admitted to smoking marijuana, but one claimed that the pipe in question was not the one they’d been smoking from, and his was darker in color.

A second student claimed that he did not see who tossed the pipe off the garage but said it was not him. He did admit that all three of them had been smoking from that particular pipe.

An officer noticed a bulge in the pocket of the third student, who refused a search and claimed to not have been smoking marijuana. The officer then asked the third student to stick out his tongue, which he did, and noticed that it was covered in a green frothy film, a condition known as “cottonmouth,” which sometimes results after marijuana use.

The officers then investigated the suspicious peanut butter jar and found it contained 1.6 grams of marijuana, a grinder and a lighter.

The three students were then cited and released for possession of marijuana. The student who had admitted to smoking from the pipe but did not know who threw it over the edge of the garage was cited and released for possession of drug paraphernalia.

Crappy graffiti

A portable toilet was vandalized at 6 a.m. on Tumamoc Hill on March 5.

Two UAPD officers arrived on the scene to inspect the portable toilet after its condition had been reported. The man who had discovered the vandalism said that he’d found graffiti sprayed all around the inside, and the walls and toilet seat had been smeared with feces.

By the time the officers, arrived the man had already cleaned up the graffiti, but he had emailed the officers pictures of it.

The man also stated that the graffiti had been a recurring problem, and he’d noticed an unusually large number of empty alcohol cans and bottles on the path near the hill.

The pictures of the graffiti were placed into evidence.