Police Beat

An officer responded to a call concerning trespassing and burglary at Corleone Apartments, 1330 N. Park Ave., at 10:01 a.m. Jan. 16.

The officer met with a man who said he was the caretaker of the apartments and the UA storage area north of it. He had noticed smoke coming from the chimney and responded to the south door to check the cause of the smoke.

Just as he was about to enter, he encountered three males and one female who failed to explain why they were there and walked right past him. The group had started a fire in the fireplace that contained a cardboard picture of the UA. There were also some food and beer cans left behind.

Ten minutes later, the officer made contact with the four individuals. They said that they had bought some food at Circle K and wanted to go somewhere to eat it where other people wouldn’t be. They said they didn’t start the fire and didn’t know how it was started. They were leaving to catch the bus to the Tucson Mall.

The food items, beer cans and fireplace ashes were taken as evidence and the subjects arrested for criminal trespassing.

Two women were cited as minors in possession of liquor in the body at 12:50 a.m. Jan. 15.

An officer saw a woman fall near East First Street and North Cherry Avenue. She was with another woman, and both appeared to be intoxicated.

The officer drove to a small walkway next to 1621 E. First St., where he approached the two females, who were sitting in a fenced area by a gate.

There was a strong smell of alcohol emanating from them, and the officer asked if he could see their IDs. Both said they didn’t have any, all the while slurring their words and leaning against the wall to keep from falling over.

One became very argumentative and refused to identify herself, saying that her father was an attorney. She then attempted to call him on the phone.

Both women finally admitted that they had, in fact, been drinking and gave the officer their information.

They were diverted to the Dean of Students Office.

An officer responded to a call at the UofA Bookstore at 11:05 a.m. Jan. 15 concerning shoplifting. When he arrived, he met with security personnel in a conference room. They had detained a male student.

A security officer said he had noticed, through video cameras, the student open a plastic bag with previously bought textbooks and insert another book.

Prior to his questioning, the student explained that it was a mistake to put the book in the bag and that he had intended to pay for it using his Bursar’s account.

An officer was dispatched to the Emil W. Haury Anthropology building, 1009 E. South Campus Drive, at 3:28 p.m. Jan. 15, where he met a man in front.

The man said he had accidentally broken the head off a water pipe while doing skateboarding tricks near the entrance. Water was shooting out of the pipe.

The officer initiated a records check showing that the man had been warned by other officers about skateboarding on campus.

The man was arrested. The officer confiscated the man’s skateboard and a roll of film.

An officer responded to the Student Union Memorial Center at 5:05 p.m. Jan. 15 regarding theft from a video game machine.

Upon arrival, the officer met with a man who works for Amazing Video and had responded to a game machine for maintenance. The game, “”Pump It Up: In the Groove 2,”” was not working properly.

During investigation, the man had removed a panel from the game machine and noticed the central processing unit was missing. No damage was done to the game. The CPU was valued at $1,000.

Officers responded to a call at El Saguarito, 1012 E. Sixth St., at 11:59 p.m. Jan. 15 concerning suspicious activity.

Once on the scene, they noticed two El Saguarito vehicles parked in their usual spots, but with all the driver-side doors left open. The gate on the north side of the building, which is often secured, was also left open.

Both glove compartments of the vehicles had been rummaged through, with the contents scattered throughout the vehicles.

There was graffiti in blue marker on both cars and also on the building, reading “”Lost Souls”” and other, unintelligible phrases.

The building had not been disturbed and there was nothing missing from it, or from the vehicles.

The owner of the restaurant arrived on scene and confirmed this observation. He wished to press charges for the damage if a suspect was located.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police?Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at