Sixth St. dorm caused Rec flood

The Student Recreation Center’s expansion is open to the public — again.

The expansion opened around noon on Monday, according to Rocky Delarosa, a Recreation Services supervisor and classics senior.

The mechanical room in the basement of the expansion flooded Sunday, causing the above ground center to be closed.

A trench in the construction area on the new residence hall on Sixth Street and Highland Avenue was from where the water flowed into the basement, according to Melissa Dryden, senior program coordinator for UA Planning, Design & Construction.

“”It wasn’t a leak or a problem with the Student Recreation Center. It was caused by a leak of water that got into the utility tunnel that goes to the Student Recreation Center,”” Dryden said.

The flooding was limited to the mechanical room, and the water was pumped out. Mechanics spent Monday checking each machine for damages. Costs hadn’t been determined as of press time.

“”They were just removing some of the equipment, seeing what could be repaired and what should be replaced,”” Dryden said.

While the expansion is reopened, it is not completely repaired.

“”It’s not at 100 percent. They were able to reopen the building today at noon but they are still working on some of the equipment that operates the air handlers that operate heat for building,”” Dryden said.

Officials hope everything will be replaced and repaired within two to three weeks.

The UA will not be paying for the repairs.

“”It was something that will be covered by the insurance of the contractor of the other project (Sixth Street Residence Hall),”” Dryden said. “”The accidental cause of the other project just happened to affect the Student Recreation Center building.””