Sun Tran to give free rides Sunday

Jessica Buckle, an undeclared freshman, takes the Sun Tran yesterday afternoon to get home after class. Sun Tran is offering free rides Sunday to encourage public transportation over gas use.

The Sun Tran bus service is offering free rides all day Sunday to reduce air pollution as part of a series of green events this month sponsored in part by the UA’s Parking and Transportation Services.

“”It is mainly to encourage people to ride transit and get out of their cars, especially with the escalating gas prices,”” said Michele Joseph, director of marketing for Sun Tran.

Gas prices hit a state record yesterday at an average of $3.258 a gallon and $3.158 in Tucson, according to AAA data.

“”We have found that once getting on a bus, people like it and stick with it,”” Joseph said.

The day of free rides is part of the 2008 Clean Air Events. Today is a bike-to-work day.

Karissa Woods, a biology freshman, has never taken the city bus before.

“”I would take the bus Sunday, though, because it sounds like a good opportunity for me to figure out the city and help the environment,”” Woods said.

The Clean Air Events planning committee consists of Pima County’s

Department of Environmental Quality, the Department of Transportation, Sun Tran and Pima Community College.

Individuals not familiar with the local bus system are encouraged to call 792-9222 or visit www.suntran.com for trip-planning assistance.