Police Beat: April 13

Crazy kids climb Koffler

Two students climbed over a fence of the Henry Koffler building in order to gain access to the roof on April 11.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer discovered the two students at 12:10 a.m.

The UAPD officer, on bicycle patrol around the UA Mall at midnight, saw two people on the southwest side of the building’s roof.

As he rode along the south side of the building, he could hear a male and female voice coming from above and contacted an additional UAPD officer for assistance.

A police aide supervisor informed the officer that the easiest way to the part of the roof where the students were was the southwest staircase.

Both officers then proceeded up the stairwell and came into contact with the man and woman on their way down.

The officer asked if they were coming from the roof, and the man confirmed that they were.

They just went up to “”check out the view,”” said the male student.

The female student admitted to jumping the gate in order to get to the roof.

The officer then informed the students that a locked gate meant that entry was prohibited.

No one else was found on the roof and the officer filled out code of conduct referrals for trespassing and forwarded them to the Dean of Students Office.

Gnomeo & Juliet do Tucson

Two troll faces were found spray painted on a wall of the Tyndall Avenue Parking Garage on April 11.

A UAPD officer patrolling the top level of the garage found the graffiti at 5:44 p.m.

The graffiti consisted of two stenciled faces in black paint with the word “”Problem?”” painted between the two faces.

The officer notified UA Facilities Management to have the spray paint removed.

State search for suicidal girl ends positively

Two concerned friends initiated a statewide search for a friend who sent them suicidal text messages on April 11.

At 1:14 a.m., an officer met with the two students at UAPD headquarters.

They told the officer that their non-UA affiliated friend had sent messages saying that she wanted to harm herself as she was on her way out of town to visit her mother.

According to her friends, she was upset about breaking up with her significant other two weeks prior.

One of the students showed the officer several text messages.

“”My time here is over,”” said one of the text messages. “”Im going out with a bang.””

She also sent a message asking that someone take care of her dog.

The friend tried to call her about the most recent text to determine whether or not she was serious, but did not get a response.

The officer then contacted the woman’s mother to explain what was going on and that it was a serious matter, to which the mother said that she understood and was willing to help.

She confirmed that her daughter was on her way to visit and that she had just told her mother that she was north of Phoenix, Ariz.

At this point, the officer broadcasted a statewide attempt to locate the woman to check on her welfare.

A short time after sending out the broadcast, the officer received a phone call from the girl.

She said that she was upset but did not mean for the text messages to sound the way they did.

After the recent breakup, she said she didn’t realize the things she was saying.

The officer explained to her that she shouldn’t be sending these kinds of messages to friends no matter how upset she may feel.

At that point, the officer didn’t feel comfortable ending the conversation on the phone and asked that she speak to an officer in person.

She agreed and an officer from the Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office intercepted her vehicle and spoke with her.

He reported that she seemed OK for now and that he would follow up with her.

After the report from the Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office, the officer informed the friends of the developments, who became worried that the woman would be upset with them for involving the police.