Mailbag: Dec.9

Dead Day is not enough

In response to the Dec. 8 article regarding the extension of Dead Day, I would highly recommend it. The reason is that as a student with three finals, I will not have enough time in one day to cover all the material I need to get ready. The dead period should also be a time where you should not be stressing about your studies. With only one day, I feel I would be more stressed because of all the studying I need to get done in one day.  Besides studying for finals, I also need to get ready to fly back home. In the article, it described that both Princeton and Yale University have a “”reading”” period where they basically have a dead week instead of a dead day. I would confidently say that Princeton and Yale students do need a whole week to study for their rigorous classes, however it does not mean that University of Arizona students don’t have hard classes. To make an even compromise, I would suggest that we get a Thursday and Friday off and then get the weekend off. I feel that type of mini dead week will be a great compromise from having a short one day of studying to a full four-day studying period.     

Joey Rosen

Pre-business freshman

‘Politicians, religion clash’ column needed more research

After reading Rachel Leavitt’s article, “”Politicians, religion clash,”” (Dec. 7, 2009) it was good to see she is a “”creative writing”” major, as most of what I have read is certainly not factual. Inventive and imaginative would be much more accurate.

Leavitt writes, “”A few weeks ago, Roman Catholic leader of Rhode Island Bishop Thomas Tobin requested that Rep. Patrick J. Kennedy refrain from taking Holy Communion due to his pro-choice stance on abortion even though prior to the recent death of Kennedy’s father, Sen. Edward ‘Ted’ Kennedy, Patrick Kennedy’s political views had not prohibited his participation.”” WRONG. The letter to Patrick Kennedy was sent two years ago. How does the author know Sen. Kennedy was not asked to receive the Blessed Sacrament for his views on abortion, same sex so-called marriage, etc? Has she spoken with his bishop?

Leavitt goes on to say, “”So if liberal politicians risk being denied communion based on their support of abortion, are those conservative politicians opposing the health care reform subject to the same threat?””  Why would those opposing reform be subjected to the law of God and the Church? Perhaps you are not familiar with the commandment, you will not murder. Sorry, I don’t remember one saying you should give health reform — please enlighten me. 

Senior Harvard Research Scientist for AIDS Prevention, Dr. Edward Green, who is the author of five books, including “”Rethinking AIDS Prevention: Learning from Successes in Developing Countries”” discussed his support for Pope Benedict XVI’s comments.

According to Dr. Green, science is finding that the media is actually on the wrong side of the issue. In fact, Green says that not only do condoms not work, but that they may be “”exacerbating the problem”” in Africa.

Leavitt says the Catholic Church has every right to make political statements and grant or deny communion to anyone it chooses, I suppose. Finally, the first accurate statement in her essay. Yes, Christ’s church does have the right to make and enforce its laws. Remember, no one is forced to remain in the church. Mr. Kennedy is free to start Pat’s Church as other’s have done for the past five hundred years when they disagreed with the church.

M. Rita Patterson