Arizona baseball notes: Kingery named Pac-12 Player of the Week

Highly touted freshmen infielders Willie Calhoun and Bobby Dalbec have packed a punch offensively for Arizona baseball this season.

Calhoun and Dalbec have been instrumental in Arizona’s offensive attack, which has seen the Wildcats outscore opponents 72-30 this year.

While Dalbec and Calhoun possess sub-.300 batting averages (.276 and .256 respectively), the duo combined to hit .308 in the UA’s most recent series.

Dalbec has recently shown off his power and hit two home runs over his past 12 at-bats — the only home runs recorded by the Wildcats this year.

Calhoun has made the most of recent opportunities and batted .333 last weekend, accumulating four RBI and four runs scored.

“Having good offensive production out there just makes it so much easier on the rotation,” junior pitcher Cody Hamlin said. “Any lead makes it easier on me to go out there with an element of comfort and insurance and pound the zone.”

Kingery named Pac-12 POW
On Tuesday, sophomore right fielder Scott Kingery was named Pac-12 Player of the Week.

Kingery had a team-high 10 hits and batted .500 during Arizona’s four wins last week. He also scored five runs, tallied five RBIs, stole seven bases and had a .542 on base percentage.

Kingery is batting .452 and has scored nine runs and six RBIs this season.

New No. 3 hitter Newman finds success
Sophomore shortstop Kevin Newman seemed more confident and comfortable at the plate after moving out of the leadoff spot and into the No. 3 slot of the lineup.

Newman compiled a .273 batting average as Arizona’s leadoff hitter in the first two series, but since then has recorded six hits in 15 at bats (.400) while playing further down in the lineup. In the series against Alcorn State, Newman scored six times and came up clutch with runners in scoring position, collecting four RBI.

“We had a lot of people swinging the bats well,” head coach Andy Lopez said. “When you score 31 runs in a double header, you have to have a lot of people doing good things in the right situations, and those are RBI situations.”

Over the first eight games this season, Newman ranks second on the team with eight RBI, trailing freshman sluggers Dalbec and Calhoun, who have nine each.

—Follow Evan Rosenfeld @EvanRosenfeld17