ICYMI: ASUA general elections results

+
    Courtesy Kameron Kindschi

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona general elections concluded on March 4. If you missed out on the results of the elections, we’ve got you covered.  

The elections saw competitive races for the positions of student body president, executive vice president, senator-at-large and senators for the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences, College of Engineering and College of Medicine. 

Along with the elections of these positions, the referendum that would enact the changes to the ASUA constitution to add a House of Representatives was also on the ballot. 

The campaign everyone was closely watching was the ASUA president. Tara Singleton beat out Rocque Perez with over half the votes going to her. 

“Winning the election was obviously a very exciting moment, but more so because it’s the beginning of what I think will be an amazing year,” Singleton said in an email. “This year’s candidates were so strong and those that were elected will really help push change in ASUA.”

Singleton said she’s anticipating next semester. 

“The campaigning process is such a learning experience, and I think that myself and the other executives have already created a great foundation for the coming year,” she said. “I look forward to serving students and addressing needs that have been discussed for a long time.”

As for the other executive positions, administrative vice president only had one candidate in the running, Maryan Hassan, virtually guaranteeing the position. Executive vice president had two candidates after the primary elections, ultimately going to Noah Vega with a little over 72% of the votes over Vincent Jasso.

Vega is excited for the coming year with the new senate class, saying in an email, “They are looking like some people who want to get stuff done from what I heard in the Q&A. I know a solid few of them and know we’ll get projects done that will be heard about around campus. Can’t wait to meet with them and dig deep into their  passions and goals, and help accomplish them together.”

The three open seats for senator-at-large were vied for by six candidates, conclusively going to Nora Day, Lady Dorothy Elli and veteran Senator-At-Large Rodrigo Robles. These Senators won with about 23%, 20% and 18% of the votes, respectively. 

Three colleges had competitive races for the chance to represent their college as a senator in ASUA: the College of Engineering, the College of Medicine and the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences. The College of Social and Behavioral Sciences will be represented next year by Alexandra Devereux, who beat out Ben Grimm with roughly 59% of the vote. The College of Medicine race resulted in Marisol Ibarra winning over Kalia Kang. The College of Engineering will be represented by Swathi Ramkumar, who won over James Brown with 58% of the vote.

“I feel extremely honored and excited after winning the Senator position for SBS … I am most looking forward to connecting with the other senators and with the student body to help promote some of our goals for the year,” Devereux said in an email. “The Senate class seems absolutely incredible, and I already look up to all of them and can’t wait to learn from them.” The College of Social and Behavioral Sciences is one of the largest undergraduate colleges in the university, with over 5,000 undergraduate students that will be represented by Devereux

The referendum for the constitutional amendment of a House of Representatives proposal was also passed with a 92.7% of yes vote. This referendum will introduce a bicameral legislature, adding a House of Representatives and a Senate seat for the College of Applied Science and Technology. The passing of this by the student body will bring it into effect Fall 2021.

You can see the complete list of election results here