‘Stuff the CatTran’ begins

As a way to close out the UA’s Faculty and Staff (food) Drive for the semester, UA4Food is encouraging members of the community to Stuff the CatTran.

The third go-around of this annual event was put together in part by the UA Parking and Transportation Services, the Staff Advisory Council, UA Community Relations and UA4Food as a way for people who are in the university area to donate canned or non-perishable food items.

A CatTran bus will be stationed at the intersection of University Boulevard and Cherry Avenue, in front of the UAMall, from 5:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. People will have the option of walking to or parking beside the CatTran bus to donate items. Money donations for the Community Food Bank will also be accepted at the location.

The Stuff the CatTran event marks the tail end of the faculty drive that began on March 14. Participants were asked to take part in a food for service challenge where faculty members could donate a can of food or $1 for every year they had worked at the university.

“”I think this is a really successful event,”” said Jacob Coldsmith, director of logistics for the Tucson Community Food Bank. “”It’s a good way to end the faculty and staff drive, and I appreciate everyone’s work on it.””

Some sought-after items for the drive include high-protein foods that are often pricey to purchase, such as peanut butter, canned meats and soups.

“”Nutritious foods that are non-perishable are always great to give,”” said Holly Altman, director of the UA Outreach and Community Partnerships.  

Open or damaged items will not be accepted or placed in the CatTran. Beverages in glass bottles are not recommended for donation.

“”We will take glass, but if it breaks in transport, whatever was in there can leak on other foods and ruin donations,”” Coldsmith said.

All items will be given to the Community Food Bank in Tucson for their emergency food box and childhood nutrition programs. Last year, the event was able to collect more than 2,800 pounds of food. This year, members of the Stuff the CatTran food drive have a goal of reaching 3,000 pounds by the end of the day.

“”We hope to improve in the results every year,”” Altman said. “”The nice thing about the Stuff the CatTran event is that people from the university, as well as the community, can help out. It’s very easy to drop food off.””

Anyone wondering if the amount of food placed in the CatTran has the potential of breaking the bus, Parking and Transportation Services Director David Heineking assured that this would not be an issue.

“”You might think cans are pretty heavy, but they are not that much heavier than people on a bus,”” Heineking said. “”If we went over weight we would just bring another bus, and that certainly would be a good problem to have.””