Police Beat

Phi Kappa Psi man warned about loud band

Police were dispatched to the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity house Nov. 17 at 10:34 p.m. in reference to a live band playing at the house.

Police made contact with a man in the fraternity, who said he and his band members were practicing in his room, but they stopped playing about one hour before police arrived.

The man was warned that if they received any further noise complaints he would be arrested for disorderly conduct. He said he understood.

A referral was sent to the Dean of Student’s Office about the incident.

Student receives threatening messages

A man was warned after threatening text messages were sent from his phone Nov. 17 at 7:27 p.m.

Police responded to the Graham-Greenlee dorm in reference to a student receiving threatening text messages. They made contact with the student who said he had received text messages from a man who was dating his ex-girlfriend. One of the text messages said, “”I want you to die.””

The man told officers he did not want to pursue any legal action; he just wanted the messages to stop.

Police called the man who was sending the messages. The man told officers he did not call or text the other man. He said his phone had been out of his possession and “”unattended”” for several hours that afternoon. Police told him they were “”dubious”” about his story, but the messages needed to stop. The man said he understood.

Man caught stealing glue stick

A man was cited and released for shoplifting from the UofA Bookstore Nov. 17 at 5:55 p.m.

Police were called to the bookstore in reference to a shoplifter in custody. When they arrived, they made contact with a man who was caught on video tape attempting to take a glue stick from the store.

He was cited and released for shoplifting. He was also referred to the Dean of Student’s Office. The total value of the merchandise was $2.22.

Student cited for DUI, claims diabetes as cause

An officer cited and released a man for driving under the influence of alcohol Nov. 17 at 2:34 a.m.

Police responded to the Cancer Center where they were advised that a man who appeared “”very intoxicated”” had entered the building. When police were checking the building, they heard the front door opening and were told that the subject had just left, got into his vehicle and drove north onto Ring Road and turned right onto East Elm Street.

Police observed the vehicle weaving as it drove northbound on Campbell Avenue. They then pulled the car over.

As officers approached the vehicle, they noticed that the driver was flushed and had bloodshot, watery eyes. Reports said the man was slow to give officers his license, registration and proof of insurance. When he handed over the documents, he told officers in slurred speech, “”I am a diabetic and I want it documented in your report.”” Officers noticed the strong odor of intoxicants coming from his breath.

Officers asked the man if he had anything to drink that evening. He said, “”No, my breath smells sweet because I’m diabetic.”” The man was then asked to get out of his vehicle. He did so, unsteadily walking over to the curb. The man swayed while standing.

Officers then began to ask him pre-test interview questions. He said he was a diabetic and was taking insulin for it. He was asked when he was diagnosed and he said, “”I haven’t been diagnosed by a doctor, but I know I have it because it runs in my family.”” He was then asked if he was currently taken insulin. He said, “”Yeah, but it’s not prescribed.”” He would not reveal where or how he obtained the insulin. He also said he has been taking Benadryl for allergies and that he had problems with his equilibrium and had injuries that would prevent him from completing the standardized field sobriety test.

Police then told the man they were going to administer a portable breath test to see if he could drive. He blew a score that showed the presence of alcohol in his system. He then refused to perform the other tests saying, “”No, I will not do them.””

He was handcuffed and told he was being taken to the UAPD for another breath test. While in handcuffs he told police that he had not been drinking. He was taken UAPD where police attempted to administer another breath test. The man could not blow into the breath test properly to produce a proper reading. Police told the man multiple times how to breathe into the test to produce results, but he failed again and again.

He then told officers he was hungry and he had not eaten in more than eight hours. They told him he could have food once he produced a result. The man then became frustrated, threw his hands in the air and yelled, “”I’m trying.”” He failed again to produce results. Police then got a court order to obtain the man’s blood in order to determine his blood alcohol content.

The man was charged with DUI-slightest degree. He was released and taken home in a Yellow Cab taxi. He was also referred to the Dean of Student’s Office.