ASUA presidential candidates both win one appeal

Court’s decision on Hernandez

ASUA presidential candidate James Allen has successfully appealed one of the election violations levied against him by Elections Commissioner Michael Colletti. The appeal brings his total number of violation checks to nine, one below the threshold for automatic disqualification.

The Supreme Court for the Associated Students of the University of Arizona overturned the two election checks Allen received for allegedly leaving campaign materials in the UMart, a violation of the Elections Code. The court upheld all other violations Allen was charged with. 

If Colletti chooses not to uphold Allen’s disqualification, he will be named ASUA president for next semester as the leading candidate from the general elections that ended March 9. If he remains disqualified, ASUA will hold a special presidential election.

The other candidate, Daniel Hernandez, also had one of his violations vacated, bringing his total of checks to nine as well. The vacated violation alleged that Hernandez and members of his candidate slate sent unsolicited text messages to random phone numbers.

Colletti still has the authority to disqualify Allen and Hernandez should he determine their violations warrant it. He has 24 hours to decide to uphold the disqualifications.