Baseball takes on winless Alcorn State

File+Photo+%2F+The+Daily+Wildcat+%0A%0AFreshman+pitcher+James+Farris+was+named+the+Pac-12+Pitcher+of+the+Week+on+Tuesday.+The+Arizona+baseball+team+will+play+a+double-header+on+Saturday+against+Alcorn+State.+
File Photo / The Daily Wildcat Freshman pitcher James Farris was named the Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week on Tuesday. The Arizona baseball team will play a double-header on Saturday against Alcorn State.

Editor’s note: on Friday the UA announced that the start of the series was pushed back to 6 p.m. on Saturday and the doubleheader will be on Sunday starting at 2 p.m.

Coming off of a loss to Utah Valley, Arizona baseball will host Alcorn State this weekend at Hi Corbett Field.

The three-game series was scheduled to begin Friday night, but it was postponed due to traveling changes by Alcorn State.

Senior pitcher James Farris (1-0) will be back in action on Saturday for Arizona (3-2) after pitching 7.2 innings and a total of 100 pitches during the season opener last Friday.

“I’m seeing a lot of good things pitching-wise,” said head coach Andy Lopez. “And on the other side, I’m also seeing some other things that make me go, ‘OK, that might not be the right individual to put in that situation.’”

The starting pitcher for Saturday’s second game will be sophomore Cody Hamlin (1-0), and Sunday will be junior Tyler Crawford (0-1).

Lopez said junior Tyler Parmenter, sophomores Xavier Borde and Cody Moffett and freshmen Bobby Dalbec and Morgan Earman are also all ready to contribute with the pitching staff if Arizona gets into trouble in pitching.

The rest of the defensive starting lineup is not yet set. Lopez and the Arizona coaching staff have been moving players around in order to find the right spot for them.

No matter what the lineup is, Dalbec said, he thinks his team is ready for another win.

“I feel like with our lineup, we always have a chance to come back and win,” Dalbec said.

Arizona has not faced Alcorn State (0-5) since 2011, when the Wildcats swept a three-game series.

First pitch of the double-header will be at 1 p.m. On Sunday, the game will start at noon.

—Follow Rose Aly Valenzuela @RoseAlyVal