Terry and Arenas tear up the Classic

The Suns Gorilla, Suns Dancers and skits during timeouts just weren’t enough entertainment at the Lute Olson All-Star Classic yesterday.

The exhibition provided plenty of thrills, but the most excitement came from current Washington Wizard Gilbert Arenas and Dallas Maverick Jason Terry.

Terry and Arenas, who were the game’s leading scorers with 30 and 25 points, respectively, battled each other for much of the last quarter.

“”That’s how it is (during) the season,”” Arenas said with a smile. “”We get to play against each other two times a year. I usually have the green light more than he does, so I usually get the best of him, but out here it was green light against green light.””

Arenas said it was his first game back since he had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee to repair a lateral meniscus tear in April.

When the fourth quarter came around, Arenas got hot, and he and Terry traded off shots, trying to outdo each other.

“”That’s how we do it, wherever we play,”” Terry said. “”If he makes one, I’ve got to come back and make two. At the YMCA, U of A, NBA, it doesn’t matter.””

In the early part of the game, though, the show belonged solely to an animated Terry.

In the first quarter, he jumped out of bounds for a ball and landed on a table. He kneeled on the table and cupped his hands to his ears, drawing a large round of applause.

In the third quarter, he launched Suns T-shirts out of a shirt-launching gun.

“”My job is to make the fans happy,”” Terry said. “”If I can do that by playing hard every night on the court and put a show on at the same time, then everyone goes home a winner.””