Tighty-whitey tour

Gordon Bates / Arizona Daily Wildcat  
ZonaZoo Crew hosts the Rivalry Week Undies Run on the UA mall Wednesday, Dec 1.
Gordon Bates
Gordon Bates / Arizona Daily Wildcat ZonaZoo Crew hosts the Rivalry Week Undies Run on the UA mall Wednesday, Dec 1.

Around 250 students, clad in only their underwear and shoes, dashed around the UA Mall Wednesday night at the annual ZonaZoo Rivalry Week Undie Run.

Before the run began, students tossed their clothes into donation bins for Hope Fest, a local charity event focused on providing the homeless with basic necessities. They collected more than 400 articles of clothing.

“”We’ve definitely already exceeded our collection from last year,”” said Abel Serratos, ZonaZoo community and development director and coordinator of the event. “”We’ve made several trips back and forth and have at least seven bins filled up so far.””

Michael Montgomery, an English and creative writing junior, and Scot Gianelli, a theater design and technology junior, were among those who donated their clothing.

“”We’re gonna get naked for charity,”” Montgomery said. “”Everything except my underwear and shoes.””

Not everyone at the run was informed about the donation opportunity, however. Cody Hall, a criminal justice sophomore, and David Gritis, an undecided sophomore, brought their favorite undies but nothing else.

“”Actually, we weren’t aware of that little detail. Next year for sure, we’ll bring double (donations) for next year,”” Hall said.

Wilbur and Wilma were also in attendance and brought up the rear of the run. Wilbur was in a pair of red boxers and Wilma was dressed in a nightgown.

“”Wilbur and Wilma were a surprise,”” Serratos said. “”I didn’t expect them to come here in their underwear, so that was really neat to see.””

Many students were not concerned with feeling awkward at the event.

“”It’s college, right? It’s what you do,”” Gianelli said. “”You get naked in front of people you don’t know and you run around.””

Amanda Seely, a junior studying English and journalism, and her friend Brittney Kinley, a marketing senior, decorated their own underwear specifically for the run. “”We make them every year,”” Seely said.

Seely said the Undie Run was not as uncomfortable as anticipated.

“”I feel like when you first take your clothes off, it’s awkward, simply because you’re running around in your underwear. But everyone’s doing it so it really doesn’t feel that weird,”” Seely said.

Serratos said another Undie Run will happen next semester.

“”We are now going to be planning for an even at the end of the Spring semester and we hope that this tradition will keep on growing.””