Staff Picks

ASU at Arizona

Is this rivalry finally legit again? Before beating the Wildcats last month, the Sun Devils lost the last 12 games to the Wildcats and 23 of the last 24. Of course, Arizona was without Jerryd Bayless. Now the team will have to go on without point guard Nic Wise, who is arguably the team’s most valuable player thus far. Still, no matter how depleted the Wildcat bench is, they won’t tolerate losing to ASU again. The answer to the question above is, no, not yet.

Arizona 75, ASU 60

-Mike Ritter, sports editor

Sure, the Devils got the best of the Wildcats the last time these two squads went head to head, but Arizona also managed to take ASU to overtime. In Tempe. Without Jerryd Bayless. Bayless is third in the conference with 18.9 points per game and James Harden is fourth (18.7) and will make for a fun matchup. The Devils started off hot at 14-2, but after losing their last five, they’ve shown just how tough this conference is. Even without Nic Wise, Arizona wins big.

Arizona 79, ASU 67

-Lance Madden, assistant sports editor

Jordan Hill. Jordan Hill. Jordan Hill. I can’t stress his name enough, and how much of an impact he brings every game. Beyond his shot-blocking frenzies and improved defense, Hill frees up the perimeter, allowing guard Jerryd Bayless and forward Chase Budinger to develop the designed play. Arizona absolutely needs the underachieving Jamelle Horne to step up, so Jawann McClellan can move to shooting guard in the absence of Nic Wise.

Arizona 76, ASU 70

-Bryan Roy, sports writer

USC at No. 17 Washington State

Oh, what a predicament the Cougars find themselves in after being swept at home last weekend – their first home losses of the season. In the bunched up Pacific 10 Conference, Washington State is now in a dead heat with USC at 5-4 overall. It’s kind of a tale of teams headed in opposite directions, as the Trojans are winners of five of their last six. On paper, this should still be all Cougars.

Washington State 67, USC 64

-Mike Ritter, sports editor

Example Nos. 473 and 474 as to the parity of the Pacific 10 Conference: USC and No. 17 Washington State. After losing their third straight last night, the Cougars have been temporarily declawed and after this matchup with the Trojans, they may be de-tailed as well. The Trojans have input from all of their starters and then some, with O.J. Mayo pulling the wagon. You know you’re the real deal when your name is Ovinton J’Anthony and you can make others look silly.

USC 70, Washington State 53

-Lance Madden, assistant sports editor

O.J. Mayo. Orange juice and mayonnaise. What a disgusting mix – almost a worse combination than when a selfish high school basketball phoneme and the whole “”being part of a college team”” idea intertwine. As a future college basketball coach, I’d rather take Carmelo Anthony’s tickets to a Lakers game than recruit a selfish NBA-star gazing 18-year-old thug to play on my team. Odds on Jessica Simpson getting with Mayo after Tony Romo doesn’t return from one of his Mexican vacations: 3:2.

Washington State 68, USC 59

-Bryan Roy, sports writer

UM-Kansas City at Southern Utah

When you think about college basketball greatness, your first thought is naturally the University of Missouri-Kansas City Kangaroos. Shortly thereafter, you think about the Southern Utah Thunderbirds. This game has March Madness written all over it. Out of all of the premier college basketball matchups this weekend, this is one of those games that Dick Vitale salivates just thinking about. I’d be stupid to pick the Thunderbirds.

Kangaroos 17, Thunderbirds 14

-Mike Ritter, sports editor

To tell you the truth, I’d rather watch Bermuda grass grow than watch this game, let alone try to predict the victor. The Kangaroos have bounced to a dismal 8-16 record and the Thunderbirds have flown with clipped wings, winning just five of their 22 games. So who wins this contest? Anyone who doesn’t watch.

Kangaroos and Thunderbirds 1,
    Spectators and viewers 0

-Lance Madden, assistant sports editor

Southern Utah head coach Roger Reid contacted me earlier this winter, looking to schedule a non-conference game with the youth basketball team that I’m coaching. We threw a couple dates around and played voicemail tag for a bit – Utah hasn’t caught onto the whole “”cell phone”” thing yet – but ultimately, my third and fourth grade players decided more practice time would better benefit the team. He wanted a home-and-home series, but Cedar City, Utah, had one hotel and no electricity.

Kangaroos 34, Thunderbirds 12 (2 OT)

-Bryan Roy, sports writer