Police Beat: Feb. 2

Homeless man shacks up with student

A University of Arizona Police Department officer responded to the Manzanita-Mohave Residence Hall because a UA student claimed that she was having trouble with her ex-boyfriend.

On Wednesday, at 5:05 p.m., the woman told UAPD that the residence hall’s community director told her that her ex-boyfriend had threatened her roommate at around 2 p.m.

She told the officer that she had met the man during the fall 2009 semester when she walking home from a party and said that the man was and still is homeless.

After breaking up with him because he was “”crazy”” and she “”wanted to focus on school,”” she still tried to maintain a friendship with him because she thought that, without her, he might hurt himself.

Second semester, she moved into a different residence hall because she wanted to be closer to the building in which most of her classes were held. She said that the move wasn’t influenced by the relationship.

The officer inquired about the man’s location. After receiving a Facebook message from the man, the woman told the officer that he was in the Music Library at 1017 N. Olive St.

When the officer arrived at the library, he found the man and asked him about his relationship with the woman.

He said that he was homeless and claimed that, while the woman lived in the first residence hall, he slept and was sheltered in her room. He stated that he had not slept in her room in her current hall but had spent the night on a couch in the lobby.

The man also claimed that after she moved they both decided to convince her friends that he was homosexual so her friends would think their relationship was platonic.

The woman’s roommate claimed that, earlier, she had received a threatening message from the man. On Jan. 25 at 5:30 p.m., she received a phone call from the man in which he told her that he was not gay and that both he and the woman were into “”groupie”” stuff.

After more questioning, the woman said that she moved out of her previous hall because of the relationship and her roommate’s involvement with “”groupie”” stuff.

She stated that her old roommate’s duty as a “”groupie”” was to visit her boyfriend’s brother’s house and provide sex. She said that she and her ex-boyfriend were not a part of this and did not condone the behavior.

The officer went to speak with the community director of the first residence hall. The director stated that the woman had been a problem in the residence hall and was kicked out because she let her boyfriend sleep over.

The incident was reported to the Dean of Students.

Just can’t stay away

A UAPD officer responded to the Main Library regarding reports of an unwanted man in the building.

On Thursday at 2:11 a.m., the library associate on duty said that there was a man sleeping in the library whom she had previously warned about being in the library without identification.

She claimed he was the man whose picture was on a Campus Watch flier. According to the flier, the man was not supposed to be on campus and had been issued an Exclusionary Order.

The officer woke the man, and a records check showed that he had two felony warrants from the Pima County Sheriff’s Office because of an Exclusionary Order that was issued in August of last year.

The man was handcuffed, and his belongings were searched. The officer found a plastic syringe, a metal spoon with burnt residue on it, a Q-tip and a prescription inhaler. The inhaler’s label had been peeled off, but the label revealed the owner’s age: 29, which did not match the age of the man sleeping in the library.

After the officer found the drug paraphernalia, the man refused to say anything further while in custody.

Then, the man was taken to the Pima County Jail and booked on charges of outstanding warrants, drug paraphernalia, prescription drugs and trespassing.

The paraphernalia and inhaler were placed into property as evidence.

Forget the truck, take the cowboy hat

A UA student called the UAPD to report that his car had been broken into in the Tyndall Avenue Parking Garage.

On Thursday at 1:30 p.m., the man claimed that on Jan. 24 at 10 p.m. he had parked his truck on the third level of the garage. When he returned on Jan. 25 at 7 p.m., his parking permit and cowboy hat were gone.

He said that whoever broke into his car probably got in through one of the unlocked doors.

The man said that the truck was a black Chevy 1500 extended cab. He did not know his license plate number.

No witnesses or suspects are known.

Returned the wallet, kept the money

A UAPD officer received a call from an employee of the Student Recreation Center reporting that a UA student was missing money from her wallet, which had been lost but returned.

On Wednesday at 12:58 p.m., the employee said that the unknown person working out at the Rec Center turned in a wallet he or she found.

Any found property at the Rec Center is supposed to be turned over to a supervisor, but, before the wallet could be documented, the owner had claimed it.

When the owner, a UA student, looked inside, she noticed that $300 cash was missing.

The student did not follow up with a report to the UAPD, but the father of the student did call the Rec Center asking about the missing money.

Staff at the Rec Center wanted the claim to be documented, so they filed a report with UAPD. The owner of the wallet and the father have yet to file a report.

The video surveillance’s scope is limited, and the description of the person who turned in the wallet was too generic.