Police Beat

Police stopped a man for riding a bicycle against the flow of traffic near Speedway Boulevard and Mountain Avenue on June 27.

The man told police he was going the wrong way to avoid being hit from behind.

He then began to nervously look around and stepped down from his bike. Police noticed a bulky item at the front of his waistband and ordered him to stop. The officer handcuffed his right hand and attempted to reach his left when the man pulled it underneath his body and started resisting. The officer then applied his Taser to the man’s lower back.

The officer identified the bulky item under the man’s shirt to be three sealed packages of CVS disposable cameras and a video camera. Police continued to search him and found a glass tube and a silver rod with burnt residue on it.

The man told police he swallowed two grams of heroin before being arrested and wasn’t feeling well. A subsequent evaluation at University Medical Center showed no evidence of that claim. The man confessed he had lied because he thought it would be easier to escape from the hospital than a jail.

He was transported to Pima County Jail, where he was booked on charges of possession of drug paraphernalia and false reporting and on five confirmed Tucson Police Department warrants. The officer also cited him for failure to ride on the right side of the road and riding without bike lamps.

A man told police he had witnessed a male urinating on the door of a study quarrel on the fourth floor of the Main Library, 1510 E. University Ave., at around 12:30 p.m. June 26.

The witness told police that a similar incident had occurred two weeks earlier when an unidentified person smeared a sandwich along the door of the same study quarrel.

No cameras on the floor could help identify a suspect.

Police responded to a call about a man with long hair and a beard carrying a large knife around the Main Gate Parking Garage, 815 E. Second St., at around 11:15 a.m. June 27.

Police found two subjects who matched the description and obtained permission to search their bags but did not find the knife.

An officer did find a B.B. gun inside one of the man’s bags. The man said he found the gun but didn’t want it and gave it to police.

A records check of the gun did not show it as stolen. No other weapons were found on either man, and they were released at the scene.

Police stopped a red 2007 Jeep on Campbell Avenue at 11:17 p.m. June 27 because its registration was expired.

The driver was also driving with a suspended license. Police noticed the vehicle’s ignition was severely damaged.

The man said he was in the process of buying the car from his boss and that the ignition had been previously damaged. Police called his boss and verified the statements.

The man was cited for driving with a suspended license and contacted a friend to pick him up before he was released.

A UA custodian reported to police that three males were drinking alcohol and smoking marijuana on the south side of the Shantz building, 1200 E. South Campus Drive, at around 4:45 p.m. June 26.

Police found a 750-milliliter bottle of champagne that was a quarter full, two brown glass beer bottles and a Silver Mine Subs cup filled with beer.

The men told police they weren’t UA students and were just passing through. They all admitted they were under 21 and later said that they were UA students in the New Start Program.

The officer was given permission to search one of the men’s bags and found a plastic bag with green marijuana residue inside of his wallet. The man said it was an old bag that he forgot was there. He added that he used to smoke but quit when he joined the UA men’s club lacrosse team.

Police searched the two other men and found a 12-ounce bottle of beer inside a backpack. Police also found a cigarette that smelt of fresh marijuana on the ground behind one of the men. The men were cited for possession of drugs and alcohol.

Police questioned two men inside of a black sedan that was parked with its backlights on near Drachman Street and Euclid Avenue at around 9:25 a.m. June 25.

The passenger said that the backlights were on because the rear end had been damaged. Police saw a beer can inside the vehicle. Upon searching it, they also found a 24-ounce beer bottle and a pint of whiskey.

The driver was issued an open-container citation and was found to be driving with a suspended license.

Upon further questioning, both men told police they were in the U.S. illegally and had been in Tucson for five years. Border Patrol responded, and the case was given to them.