Mailbag: April 15

Letters to the editor

Bad news for bikers

The UA owns and operates the Science and Technology Park on Rita Road. There are two controlled entrances to this park. One on Rita Road and the other on Kolb Road. The week an abrupt detour was installed on the Kold Road access.

On Monday morning the detour appeared. Grubb and Ellis did a good job of making the detour slow enough so that cyclists and motorists can share the road. The speed limit for this detour is 15 mph, which is well within the capabilities of bicycling commuters.

They have not done a good job of dust control. After some (somewhat vocal) cyclists complained about abrupt notice and poor dust control, the UA made another abrupt decision to ban cyclists from this entrance.  Some cyclists riding racier road bikes might find this detour inconvenient or unsafe but solid touring, commuting and mountain bikes are safe on this detour. I would not ride my skinny tire race bike on this detour but my daily commuter is solid and safe.

If this were the main campus, the UA would not get away with this, but our cycling community out here is much smaller and we have less voice. We would like to understand why the UA is not actively supporting bicycling in the community. This is April and PAG is pushing alternative commute methods this month. I expect that UA should be more supportive of non-auto commuting alternatives. And I would also expect them to communicate much better than they have.

— Bill Sherman

Don’t censor the census

If you had an opportunity to “”earn”” $25,000 over the next 10 years, you would probably check it out. “”What’s the cost?”” you may ask. Only about 10 minutes of your time.

By completing the 2010 Census form and returning your information, each and every University of Arizona college student who lives in the Tucson region during the school year, can “”earn”” $25,000 for the Pima County region.

OK. So the money may not be deposited directly in your pocket. However, you will be the beneficiary of the $25,000 in one way or another.

Do you drive a car, ride your bike or walk on the region’s streets or sidewalks? Do you visit the public library? Do you go to a medical clinic?

Transportation programs, libraries, medical programs and other important community services annually receive federal and state funds based on our region’s population count.

It’s not too late to count yourself today. Help our region help you and others over the next 10 years.

— Dr. Richard H. Carmona

Local spokesman for 2010 Census outreach

17th Surgeon General of the United States

Distinguished Professor, University of Arizona

Edit the obit

Two things may need a correction in the Lowery obit: He had two children, not one; they are Bradford and Claudia. Check with Tom Duddleston Sr. to confirm that. And he was a distinguished managing editor of the Tucson Citizen — which was his top career achievement. Seems the obit should mention that.

— Ford N. Burkhart

Retired faculty