Former UA forward Hill charged in choking incident

George Bridges
Jordan Hill (27) of the Houston Rockets is fouled by Boris Diaw (32) of the Charlotte Bobcats as he goes for a shot in the second half on Wednesday, March 14, 2012, in Houston, Texas. (George Bridges/MCT)

Former Arizona Wildcat forward and current Los Angeles Laker Jordan Hill has been charged in the choking of a family member in Houston. The incident occurred on Feb. 29, when Hill was a member of the Houston Rockets.

Hill must make an appearance in Houston to face the charge of third-degree felony for assault on a family member by choking.

The district attorney’s office told ESPN that Hill faces a sentence of two to 10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine. After paperwork is finished, a warrant for his arrest will be issued.
The Lakers issued a statement on Monday.

“We are aware of the media reports alleging an incident involving Jordan Hill from two months ago when he was a member of the Houston Rockets,” the statement read. “We do not have any details regarding these reports and therefore, as well as due to the personal and legal aspects, it would not be appropriate for us to comment. Any further inquiries regarding this should be directed to Jordan’s representative.”

Hill is currently in his third year in the NBA after playing at the UA for three years. The 6-foot-10, 235-pound forward from Newberry, S.C., broke out in his junior year for the Wildcats, averaging 18.3 points, 11.0 rebounds and 1.7 blocks per game. He left for the NBA and was drafted No. 8 overall by the New York Knicks.