ASUA Briefs

President Shelton shared his goals for the year and answered questions of members from the Associated Students of the University of Arizona yesterday evening.

UA WiFi will be up and running on Monday and access points on the UA Mall should be running by the end of the week, a CCIT official said yesterday.

Some of the goals of the wireless project include a system with encrypted security, mobility and one that is data and voice capable.

The cost of implementing the system will be $9,978,984, which is almost double the $5,431,500 that will be earned in four years of the $65-per-year student technology fee.

Bob Lancaster, wireless project director, presented the goals of the project at yesterday’s Associated Students of the University of Arizona meeting.

“”We hope, by the end of October, that everything that we had planned on with the current funding will be complete,”” Lancaster said.

The first phase of the project will provide wireless coverage in the following areas: Student Union Memorial Center, Park Student Union, Main Library, Science-Engineering Library, Manuel T. Pacheco Integrated Learning Center and the Mall between Old Main and North Campbell Avenue.

Senators approved this year’s Associated Students of the University of Arizona Speakers Board bid list.

The list includes possible paid speakers for the year, such as notable comedians Dane Cook and Dave Chappelle and late-night television host Conan O’Brien.

Chappelle, Cook and O’Brien will provide their individual takes on comedy to UA students for a price tag of $75,000 per act.

President Robert Shelton, who attended the ASUA Senate meeting, said he is supportive of the pilot red-tag program, in which the Tucson Police Department will notify the Dean of Students Office if UA students receive red tags.

“”We were all that age once,”” Shelton said. “”I think TPD will be sensitive and aware of the fact that they are dealing with students and not hardened criminals.””