Arizona softball gets swept in its second straight three-game series against No. 20 ASU

Nathanial Stenchever

Izzy Pacho an infielder on the Arizona softball team tries to tag an Arizona state player out at third on Friday March 25 at Rita Hillenbrand Memorial Stadium. The Wildcats would loose 9-2.

In an attempt to bounce back from their opening three game series sweep by No. 4 UCLA, Arizona continues to struggle as they got swept by No. 20 ASU at Hillenbrand Stadium in Tucson. The series started off with a 9-2 loss in seven innings Friday night.

Friday (3/25)

ASU started the game with an RBI single down the middle for a 2-run score. An inning later, an ASU double would turn into another run scored for the Sun Devils. Carlie Scupin responded with a 2-run homer to put the Wildcats on the board. Those would be the only runs for Arizona as the Sun Devils took over the rest of the game. 

ASU scored three runs in the top of the fifth inning with an RBI double and two sacrifice flyouts. The Sun Devils didn’t let up as they scored 2 runs in the top of the sixth inning and 1 run in the seventh inning to win the first game of the series 9-2. 

RELATED: Arizona Softball gets swept in series against No. 4 UCLA

Saturday (3/26)

Saturday’s game against ASU was a complete slugfest as the Sun Devils took this game 11-0 in five innings. ASU only needed three innings to score as they started off the third inning with a 3-run homer to left. Following that was an RBI double to give ASU another run in the fourth inning. 

The game was finished with two 3-run homers and one 2-run homer to give the Sun Devils a total of 7 runs in the fifth inning to end the game. The only two hits for the Wildcats came from Jasmine Perezchica and Blaise Biringer. 

Sunday (3/27)

The final game of the series wasn’t too different from the second as the Wildcats were shut out once again 8-0 against the Sun Devils. This time around, former Arizona and now ASU pitcher Marissa Schuld pitched a no-hitter against the Wildcats. 2 runs were scored in the first inning: one came from an RBI single to right and the other came from a sacrifice flyout. 

Then a pair of solo home runs came in the third inning to put the Sun Devils up 4-0. During the fourth inning, another pair of solo home runs were scored as ASU was on their way to taking the victory. The game and series were finished with an RBI double to left and a sacrifice groundout to second base. 

Arizona has been struggling so far in Pac-12 play, going 0-6 to start as they’ve gone up against top-tier teams. The Wildcats have a chance to redeem themselves in a three-game series this weekend against the University of Washington starting Friday, April 1 in Hillenbrand Stadium at 5 p.m.

Follow Sam Gillman on Twitter