Badge Day unites Greeks

David Venezia/Arizona Daily Wildcat

The members of Alpha Delta Pi gather outside their house to celebrate Sorority Badge Day.
David Venezia/Arizona Daily Wildcat The members of Alpha Delta Pi gather outside their house to celebrate Sorority Badge Day.

The UA Panhellenic Council aimed to dispel stereotypes and promote sorority sisterhood during International Badge Day on Monday.

Sororities around the country and Canada wear pins unique to each chapter during the annual event. This year’s Badge Day was another step toward improving the Greek Life image, according to Jessica Hermann, president of the UA Panhellenic Executive Council and an Africana studies junior.

The theme of the day was “”Keep Your Fraternal Experience Close to Your Heart.”” Many smaller campuses have large, celebratory events surrounding the day, according to Hermann.

Members at the UA wear their pins after being initiated into the sorority and take group photos. Many sororities also refresh members on the role of the Panhellenic Council at their chapter meetings, Hermann said.

“”It’s a day to be proud you’re in a sorority, stay away from the negative stereotypes and remember why you joined in the first place,”” she said.

The Panhellenic Council is working to improve the Greek Life image by addressing stereotypes around subjects like alcohol and providing academic and leadership programs.

“”I’m really fighting against that (stereotypes),”” Hermann said. “”It’s one of my main goals this year.””

Events like the Badge Day aim to remind sorority members they’re part of a community.

“”It’s just so cool,”” Hermann said. “”It’s why we joined — for sisterhood, for bonding. We joined for a lifetime, not just for four years.””

Morgan Larson, president of Gamma Phi Beta and a junior studying family studies and human development, said her sorority participates in the event every year.

“”It’s a great way to represent Greek Life as a whole,”” Larson said. “”We can wear (our pins) proudly and represent each of our chapters.””

Each chapter’s pin includes different symbols. Sorority members asking each other about their pins can bring unity, Hermann said.

“”One you’re educated about other chapters, you’re not going to hate on them,”” she said.

Hermann said friendships between members of different chapters will also improve the Greek Life image.

“”It’ll stop negative stereotypes,”” Hermann said. “”There’re stereotypes about every chapter. It’s horrible.””

Sorority members may see people in class wearing pins who they did not realize were in Greek Life and ask them about their chapters, Larson said.

“”I think it’s a great way to bring us all together,”” she said.

The day also helps incorporate smaller sororities into Greek Life according to Yuwon Kim, president of Phi Beta Chi and a psychology junior. Kim said her sorority is smaller than most others with 15 members.

“”By wearing our shirts, our letters, our badges — maybe we can help get our name out there and help with recruitment for next semester,”” Kim said.

Learning about other chapters is helpful for networking, Kim said.

“”Other people realize, ‘Oh, this is a chapter I haven’t seen before. Maybe we could work together for a fundraiser or social event or community service,'”” she said.

International Badge Day helps bring sorority members back to the roots of their organizations, Hermann said.

“”We’re really focused on improving the Panhellenic image,”” she said. “”It’s little steps like these that will help improve it.””