Women’s tennis begins fall season at Penn Invitational today

The Arizona women’s tennis team is back and ready to start its fall season this weekend in Philadelphia at the Penn Invitational.

Junior Juliette Mavroleon, sophomore Tina Razloznik and freshman Natalia Toporowska will represent Arizona at the event today through Sunday that includes Ohio State, Harvard and host Pennsylvania.

UA head coach Vicky Maes said that it is easier to pay close attention to the playing level of the players if there are only a few of them going to these tournaments at a time.

The fall tennis season also brings different challenges and experiences that the players will not see later on during the team play of the spring season.

Assistant coach Brian Ramirez, who is entering his third year at Arizona, said it is exciting to see what the new and old players can accomplish at the tournaments, especially since he feels he is a part of their accomplishments.

“”I feel like I’ve had more of a hand in helping build the program at this point after two full years,”” he said.

Before coming to Arizona, Toporowska, a native of Kluczbork, Poland, was ranked No. 1 in Ontario, Canada, and No. 5 in singles and No. 3 in doubles in all of Canada.

In her freshman year for the Wildcats, Razloznik played at the No. 5 position and earned a seven-match winning streak. She said she is ready to “”put into practice”” everything the Wildcats have been working on as a team and to start winning some matches.

Mavroleon was named district champion at her high school in Miami, Fla. for her sophomore, junior and senior seasons and was an All-American as a senior.

Maes, the sixth-year head coach and an Arizona alumna, was pleased with the performances she saw last season, but she still wants Arizona to be better and more competitive.

“”I know we’re not going to make a huge jump in the rankings as we did last year, but we’re definitely looking to improve,”” she said.

She will also be looking to the team captain Danielle Steinberg, a sophomore who is ranked No. 29, to push the women to strive for excellence.

“”We have a great leader in Danielle Steinberg,”” she said. “”She knows what it takes to be good, and not just on an individual level but on a team level as well.””

Steinberg said she feels that one of her main roles as captain is to lead by example, which she can accomplish by working hard and playing to her full potential.

Through her example, Steinberg said she tells the other women on the team to “”always compete because you never know in tennis what is going to happen.

“”Anybody can beat anybody.””