Arizona baseball team swept by Oregon to close regular season

Nathanial Stenchever

TJ Nichols, a pitcher on the Arizona baseball team, throws a ball on Friday, May 13 at Hi Corbett Field. The Wildcats would jump out to the early lead but would ultimately lose 9-12.

The Arizona baseball team was swept by the University of Oregon on the road to close the regular season. Here is a summary of how each game went down. 

Thursday: Oregon wins 10-4:

Tanner O’Tremba spotted an early 1-0 lead in the first inning with a single that scored Nik McClaughry. 

Arizona starter TJ Nichols gave the lead right up as Oregon hit 2 home runs off him in the second inning. They were both 2-run long balls.

Nichols was hit hard, allowing 7 runs on seven hits over three innings to go along with three strikeouts and one walk.

Tommy Splaine drove in Garen Caulfield with a triple in the sixth inning before Caulfield and McClaughry each drove in runs in the eighth inning to cut the deficit to 8-4 and bring the tying runner to the plate in the same frame when Daniel Susac and O’Tremba both struck out to end the threat. 

The Ducks added two runs of their own in the next half inning to secure the opening game of the series.

RELATED: Arizona baseball’s Nik McClaughry is a strong contender for Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year

Friday: Oregon wins 4-3

The Ducks got to Arizona starter Garrett Irvin for 3 runs in the first two innings. Irvin would settle down, keeping Oregon off the next five frames to toss seven innings of three-run ball.

Chase Davis put Arizona on the board in the fourth inning. The Wildcats would then tie the game to the next frame off an RBI double by Daniel Susac and RBI groundout by Tanner O’Tremba.

It was a 3-3 game entering the eighth inning when Trevor Long allowed a run to give the Ducks a 4-3 lead.

Oregon starter Isaac Ayon went the distance in the game, throwing just 98 pitches despite allowing 3 runs on six hits with 10 strikeouts and three walks. 

Saturday: Oregon wins 5-3

The Ducks took a 3-0 lead in the second inning off Arizona starter Anthony Susac. He went 1.2 innings, allowing those 3 runs on five hits.

Oregon extended the lead to 4-0 before Daniel Susac put Arizona on the board with a single in the eighth inning. 

Trailing 5-1 entering the ninth inning, Tommy Splaine connected on a 2-run single to cut the deficit to 5-3 before Blake Paugh struck out to end the game. 

Up next for the Wildcats is the Pac-12 Tournament in Scottsdale where they will face this same Oregon team on Wednesday at 9:00 a.m. MST. 

Follow Ari Koslow on Twitter