No. 8 Women’s golf tied for 2nd at Wildcat Invitational

The No. 8 Arizona women’s golf team didn’t have to travel far for the Wildcat Invitational in Tucson, as the tournament began yesterday with the opening round at Arizona National Golf Club.

The Wildcats trail No. 4 Arizona State by just one stroke and are tied for second place with No. 15 Oklahoma State, No. 1 Duke and No. 2 UCLA.

Arizona was pleased to get out to a fast start, especially because it failed to do so in its last tournament in Palos Verdes.

“”It was really important for us to get off to a good start considering it’s our home course,”” said senior Alison Walshe. “”We play there every day.””

Freshman Alejandra Llaneza led the Wildcats with a one-under-par 70, finishing tied for third place on the individual scoreboard. The Wildcats had three players finish in the top-20, including Walshe who finished tied for ninth place with an even par-71. Senior Mary Jacobs finished tied for 19th place with a
    two-over-par 73.

Emily Mason and junior Amanda Wilson finished the tournament tied for 30th place, as they both shot a three-over-par 74.

The No. 2 ranked Amanda Blumennherst of Duke currently leads the individual scoreboard by carding a three-under-par 68, carrying her otherwise slumping team into second place.

If there is one thing the Wildcats have going for them, it is that they have achieved their placement as a team, rather than relying on a single player to carry them to the top.

They are currently the only team out of the top five to not have a player with a score above three-over-par.

“”Nobody’s pressured to carry the team,”” Walshe said. “”I think that it is something that we have that other teams don’t and as long as we have each other’s backs, we can show that we are one of the top-ranked teams.””