Winding down

Behind Kurt Heyer’s complete-game shutout and Rob Refsnyder’s three RBIs on Friday, the Arizona baseball team beat Washington, 9-0, to open this season’s final series.

Heyer scattered seven hits while striking out five, and recorded 13-straight outs via ground balls en route to his second consecutive complete game without allowing a run.

“”At this point in the season, location is the key,”” said Heyer, who faced only two more batters than the minimum of 27, thanks to four double plays. “”Everyone’s kind of getting tired, so you can’t blow it by them … you need that secondary pitch. If you can’t blow it by them, you need to locate that fastball and make them roll over and turn some double plays.””

Heyer received a no-decision in last week’s series opener against Stanford, a game that the Wildcats (34-19, 13-12 Pacific 10 Conference) lost 1-0 in 11 innings.

Washington (17-35, 6-19 Pac-10) had runners on first and third with one out in the second inning, but Heyer was able to induce a short fly ball and a Husky was thrown out on a steal attempt to end the frame.

Johnny Field then led off the bottom half of the inning with a triple off the right field wall, and Arizona pushed across four runs to take the lead for good.

“”I hit it well, but off the bat, I thought there was no way it was going to go that far,”” Field said. “”But it kept slicing away from the fielder and carrying. I was lucky he didn’t get to it, but I’ll take it.

“”That was a huge inning for us, we got some big hits. It was good to get some runs early in the game and not have to wait until late in the game to get things going.””

Arizona added two more runs in the third inning, giving Heyer the kind of run support that the Wildcats strive for.

“”That’s what we expect out of ourselves every night, to come out and put runs up,”” Field said. “”We might not put up a four-spot every inning, but we’re going to try to get one up every inning and do our job, because (Heyer) is going to go out and do his job every night.””

In the eighth inning, senior outfield Bobby Rinard hit his first career home run, a solo-shot to left field that plated Arizona’s ninth run. Rinard went 3-for-3 at the plate, scoring two runs to go along with two RBIs to start off his final series at Sancet Stadium.

“”That was a good night for that kid, I was happy to see that,”” Arizona head coach Andy Lopez said. “”He’s a good guy, we have some good seniors.””

With the postseason rapidly approaching, Lopez couldn’t be happier to see his Friday night starter in the middle of a streak of 19 innings without allowing a run.

“”It’s good to be playing good baseball, that’s the key,”” Lopez said. “”They’ve done a pretty good job playing good baseball. But that’s just one (game), we’ve got to continue playing well.””

The series resumes on Saturday, with first pitch scheduled for 6 p.m.