More H1N1 vaccines available

Lisa Beth Earle / Arizona Daily Wildcat

H1N1 Shots
Lisa Beth Earle
Lisa Beth Earle / Arizona Daily Wildcat H1N1 Shots

Campus Health Services will provide free H1N1 vaccines for some members of the campus community in the coming days.

“”We’ve been waiting for the vaccine to be distributed,”” said Lee Ann Hamilton, the assistant director of health promotion and preventative services at Campus Health. “”Production has been much slower than anticipated.””

Because the doses of the vaccine are limited, Campus Health has given priority to people at highest risk.

The vaccine is now available to students and staff who are younger than 24, students and staff who are 25 and older with high-risk medical conditions such as asthma and diabetes, people with physical disabilities, pregnant women, students and staff who live with or care for children younger than six months, and students and staff who are health care personnel.

Hamilton said Campus Health has not received its full supply of the vaccine, and that eventually it will be available to the whole campus community.

Those who are eligible for the vaccine but cannot attend the clinics can also come to Campus Health Services between 8 a.m. and noon, and between 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday and from 9 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Wednesdays.

“”It’s not helping people being on a shelf,”” Hamilton said. “”We want to get it out to people.””

Within the last week, Campus Health has reported a decrease in the number of flu cases it has seen. Prior to that, the numbers had been increasing for four to six weeks.

“”It’s just sort of the natural course of an infectious disease in a population,”” Hamilton said.

Hamilton expressed concern that the number of cases may spike again after students return from traveling for Thanksgiving break. She said some people choose to take their chances with the H1N1 flu, but the sickness can lead to secondary infections or be life threatening.

“”For something that’s free, it only takes a few minutes, and it might save you seven to 10 days of sickness, it’s definitely worth considering,”” she said.