Calendar

David Lynchs classic cult film comes to The Loft Cinema tomorrow.
    David Lynch’s classic cult film comes to The Loft Cinema tomorrow.

Today

“”Nuclear Waste Stalemate: Political and Scientific Controversies”” – This lecture about nuclear waste just might delve into the strange creatures it produces, like the White Toed Snake and the woman who laughs hysterically in the movie theater. Authors Robert and Susanne E. Vandenbosch will be present. 4:30-6 p.m. Free. UofA Bookstore, Main Level

Free Live Music Park Place Series – There will be live jazz, blues and other music every Thursday at the Park Place Mall, in case you get tired of Panic At the Disco inside Aeropostale. 5:30-8 p.m. Free. Park Place Mall Courtyard Patio, 5870 E. Broadway Blvd.

Eat Downtown – This is a good event to get your parents to take you to. There will be wine samplings as well as tastings from Athens on Fourth, the Barrio, Casa Vicente, the Cup Café, Cushing Street Bar and Grill, El Minuto, Enoteca and more. 5:30-8:30 p.m. $40. Hotel Congress, 311 E. Congress St.

Tucson Poetry Festival XXVI: Poetry and Voice – This weekend-long festival will feature readings by people whose names sound like poetry: Ayisha Knight, Rebecca Seiferle and something called Verbobala. Thursday through Sunday. Times vary. $10 per reading. UA Poetry Center, 1508 E. Helen St. and The Historic Y, 300 E. University Blvd.

Tomorrow

“”Wild at Heart”” – This David Lynch film is notable for the excessive sex, violence and “”Wizard of Oz”” imagery, but also for the fact that it’s one of the only good roles Nicolas Cage has ever played. Friday and Saturday, 10 p.m. $5. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd.

Meet photographer David Muench – This landscape photographer will talk about his book, “”Arizona,”” which is probably about New Mexico. 4:30 p.m. Free. UofA Bookstore, Main Level

Battle Royale Finals – It would be funny if all the bands at The Rock battled to the death by knifing each other, but we’ll just have to settle for an American Idol-style band competition. There’s always afterwards. 6 p.m. $6 in advance, $8 at the door. The Rock, 136 N. Park Ave

Saturday

American Friends Service Committee’s Second Annual Justicepalooza – Fight for justice by going to this party. There will be live music, refreshments and apparently “”good company,”” although that’s probably a relative term. 7-10 p.m. $7 to $10 requested donation. Matt’s Backyard, 838 West Alameda Drive

Spring Fling – The third-best part of spring, after spring break and not going to class after spring break. There will be mud. Thursday through Sunday. $5. Rillito Park, North First Avenue and East River Road

Sunday

Flying Fish Lounge (Service Industry Night) – Ra Sushi Bar is having a “”reverse happy hour”” for people who work in the service industry. $1 warm sake; $2.75 Bud Light; $3.50 well drinks; and $4 call drinks. Menu specials include $2 Edamame; $3.25 California Roll; $2.75 Salmon Nigiri; and $3.75 Tootsy Maki. 8-11 p.m. No cover. RA Sushi Bar Restaurant, 2905 E. Skyline Drive

Monday

Joey Belladonna of Anthrax – This guy was voted No. 1 metal singer in (Metal Forces) magazine two years in a row. He’s also not particularly scary looking, so that’s a plus as well. 6 p.m. $20 in advance, $25 day of show. Club Congress, 311 E. Congress St. (21+)

Author Ken Lamberton will present “”The Nature of Prison”” – From the About Me page on his Web site: “”… Lamberton joined the creative writing workshop of poet and author Richard Shelton and soon began publishing articles and essays about two subjects he knew well: prison and the natural history of the Southwest.”” This guy sounds like a badass. 7-9 p.m. Free. Oro Valley Library, General Meeting Room, 1305 W. Naranja Drive

Tuesday

Pelican – This instrumental band is described as post-rock and post-metal, and is signed on Hydra Head Records, which sounds more bizarre than it probably is. They’ll be playing with El Ten Eleven, who do an awesome instrumental cover of “”Paranoid Android.”” 9:45 p.m. $10. Plush, 340 E. Sixth St. (21+)

Wednesday

UA Studio Jazz Ensemble – This is the final concert of the season and will include composition by Thelonious Monk and Charles Mingus. 7:30 p.m. Free. Crowder Hall