Bayside: The Walking Wounded

Bayside: The Walking Wounded

Bayside’s fourth full-length album, The Walking Wounded, was released Tuesday and is a fitting example of talent. Their songs are built symmetrically, with the drums, guitars and vocals carrying their own weight to make this one of the most balanced Bayside albums yet. With vocals similar to Alkaline Trio and a catchy arrangement of beats reminiscent of Taking Back Sunday, The Walking Wounded emphasizes the importance of walking away from pain, carrying on and surviving. After suffering from a car accident while on tour that took the life of drummer John “”Beatz”” Holohan, the band has been moving forward instead of wallowing in sadness. This albu, reflects their struggles and a general feeling of having overcome obstacles, to which everyone can relate. With songs like “”Choice Hops and Bottled Self Esteem,”” Bayside illustrates gift in writing lyrical poetry, singing: “”The healing power of alcohol only works on scrapes and nicks/ and not on girls in city bars who drown themselves in it/ You can play all day and tell your friends that everything’sall right/ The truth is that your heart collapsed two years ago tonight.”” And in case you’re looking for a little whimsy in your rock n’ roll, The Walking Wounded even has a song titled “”They’re Not Horses, They’re Unicorns.”” More than anything, this album’s strength shows Bayside is not going to stop being the sardonic masters of rock that they’re known for.