MLB Recaps

Arizona 3, San Diego 2

SAN DIEGO – Even El Duque got into the action when Arizona’s pitching staff shut down the punchless Padres during a three-game sweep.

Orlando Hernandez, the seemingly ageless right-hander, was impressive for six innings and rookie Conor Jackson homered in helping Arizona beat San Diego 3-2 yesterday.

One of the few highlights for the Padres during this dismal series came when Mike Piazza hit his 400th career homer with two outs in the ninth. It was his third with San Diego.

Otherwise, this series was all about Arizona’s pitching dominating the defending NL West champion Padres’ popgun offense.

“”We’re awful right now. We know it,”” Padres manager Bruce Bochy said.

Hernandez (2-3) stopped a personal three-game losing streak during which he allowed 14 earned runs in 16 1/3 innings. He struck out a season-high nine and allowed only two hits and a run in his first appearance against the Padres since beating them in Game 2 of the 1998 World Series as a rookie with the New York Yankees.

New York Mets 9, San Francisco 7, 11 innings

SAN FRANCISCO – Willie Randolph thinks Billy Wagner can get most anybody out, even Barry Bonds.

Wagner pitched to Bonds and gave up a tying ninth-inning homer. Chris Woodward then lined a go-ahead double in the 11th and scored on Jose Reyes’ single to lift the New York Mets to a 9-7 victory over the San Francisco Giants.

“”He’s not the old Bonds, but he can still hit,”” Wagner said.

Bonds pinch hit and forced extra innings with his 711th homer, a two-run drive. He sent a 99 mph fastball from Wagner into the seats in left-center for his third homer of the year and second in as many games.