Police Beat

Dozing dopers detained by police

Two men were arrested for possession of marijuana and one was charged with false reporting to law enforcement on March 3 at 4:53 a.m.

Police responded to the library in reference to two men sleeping on the fourth floor. When they arrived they made contact with an employee who said that he had dealt with the men in the past. They had been told they could not sleep in the library. The employee then took the officers to the area where the men were sleeping. Each man was using two chairs to sleep on.

Police woke the men up and asked them for identification. Neither had any. They gave officers their names and a check was run on them. One of the men had two outstanding warrants. The second man had one.

After arresting the men, police found that the second man had given them the wrong name. When they ran his real name, they found that he had a felony warrant for his arrest for burglary and a misdemeanor warrant for possession of marijuana.

Both men were handcuffed and searched. While searching the first man, police found a small piece of plastic containing marijuana in the man’s jacket. Even though it was a minimal amount, it appeared to be usable.

The second man told officers that he had a pocket knife on him, so officers removed it. A search of the man’s shopping bag revealed that he had a fanny pack with a small baggie of marijuana inside of it. When asked if it was his, he said “”Yeah, I guess it’s ours.”” The man also had another knife in his bag.

Both men were transported to the Pima County Jail and booked for their warrants and drug possession. The second man was also booked for false reporting to law enforcement. The marijuana and knives were confiscated.

Community director calls cops concerning culprit

A student was charged with third degree criminal trespassing on March 4 at 7:20 p.m.

Police responded to the Coronado Residence Hall in reference to a person who was trespassing. When they arrived they made contact with the community director. The director said there was a man seated in the lobby who was not supposed to be in the dorm. The man was a former resident of the dorm but had been evicted and prohibited from being in the dorm. The community director said that he saw the man getting off of one of the elevators with a resident of the dorm. The community director called the man over to the front desk, asked for his CatCard and called the University of Arizona Police Department.

Police then made contact with the man. They showed the man a copy of the paperwork that the community director had given them saying that he was not allowed in the dorm. The man said that he received a copy of the document when he moved out of the dorm in February.

When asked why he was in the dorm, the man said that he was just dropping off some notes for a friend. He did not think it would be a big deal because he was not in the dorm for very long.

The officer informed the man that there was no exception detailed in the letter and that his presence in the dorm constituted criminal trespassing.

The man was escorted to the police car where he was cited and released on scene.

Woman cited for ‘smokin” car

A woman was cited for multiple charges after being stopped for speeding on March 4 at 10:18 a.m.

While on patrol of Euclid Avenue between Seventh and Eighth streets, an officer observed a car that was going 48 mph. The posted speed on the street is 30 mph.

The officer conducted a traffic stop of the vehicle. He made contact with a woman, who was the only occupant of the vehicle. The woman did not have her driver’s license, so she provided the officer with a credit card that had her name on it.

While speaking to the woman, the officer detected the odor of marijuana. When the officer told her that he smelt it coming from inside the vehicle, she said, “”Yeah, it’s in the car.”” The woman then pulled open an ashtray, exposing a marijuana cigarette.

The officer asked the woman to step out of the car. She told the officer that she started smoking marijuana about a year ago. He then asked her when she started smoking marijuana today. She said, “”Five minutes ago.”” The officer then asked her to describe what she was smoking. She said, “”It’s illegal.”” He also asked her if she knew what it was and she said “”It’s marijuana.””

Another officer arrived on scene. He was informed that there was a joint in the ashtray of the vehicle. The second officer then searched the vehicle. On the passenger side of the front seat, he found a one-foot glass smoking pipe with marijuana residue inside of it. There was also a glass jar that smelt strongly of marijuana there. In the trunk, the officer found a two-foot glass smoking pipe. All of the items were confiscated.

The woman was cited and released for possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia and speeding.