Up ’til Dawn raises funds for St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital

Ryan Revock
Ryan Revock / Arizona Daily Wildcat Nik Gelo (left) and Connor Shea (right) from the band “Something Like Seduction” preform at the Up ’til Dawn event. The event helps the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

The UA community united to help raise money for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital on Sunday.

The Up ‘til Dawn event is targeted at helping kids with pediatric cancer and other diseases through a letter writing campaign in which participants write letters to friends and family requesting donations.

Up ‘til Dawn is a student-run, campus-wide philanthropy event that took place Sunday from noon to 5 p.m. in the Student Union Memorial Center Grand Ballroom. More than 154 colleges and universities nationwide participate in the program.

“This is an absolutely phenomenal experience,” said Danielle Trzyna, associate director of St. Jude’s Phoenix office. “It is great to share in the excitement and joy for the children’s hospital.”

Students brought at least 35 addresses of friends and family to send them a pre-written letter requesting donations to help St. Jude’s.

Amelia Paul, a math sophomore was attending the event for her second time this year and wrote 15 letters.

“I love St. Jude’s and I wanted to be here for a good cause,” Paul said. “I think it shows a large community feeling to do something for a good cause. Even though we are all in different [sororities and fraternities] it shows we can be all together.”

All greek organizations were required to participate in the event. Last year’s Up ‘til Dawn event raised more than $42,000 for St. Jude’s, said Elizabeth Graham, a retailing and consumer sciences senior and executive director of the philanthropy event’s board. There was a $5 registration fee and the event has raised around $18,000 from that alone, Graham said.

Festivities at the event included free food, prizes, raffles, guest speaker Paula Babis and live performances. Babis spoke at the Up ‘til Dawn event for the second time. One of her daughters, 16-year-old Noa Babis, was diagnosed with a brain tumor at 6-years-old and was treated at St. Jude’s.

“I hope the students can feel it in their gut that they are helping real people and the hospital is real and not commercial,” Babis said. “Noa is a real person. I want them to be touched in their gut.”