Pac-10 Power Rankings

With less than 20 days until Super Sunday and only two weeks of Pacific 10 Conference play left in the 2009-10 season, the rankings of the top teams are becoming more and more critical. As the season winds down, it looks like the conference will only be represented in the Big Dance by whomever wins the Pac-10 Tournament.

1. California: (18-9, 10-5 Pac-10) — After splitting the Oregon schools last weekend, nothing is locked up yet. Three difficult games remain for the Bears, who face dangerous Arizona schools and a rivalry game in Palo Alto against Stanford to finish the season.

2. ASU: (19-8, 9-5) — The Sun Devils earned more than just a win Sunday against the Wildcats: CBS sports will broadcast next weekend’s ASU-California game with the conference lead on the line.

3. Washington: (18-9, 8-7) — The Washington seniors went out in style with a huge win against the Bruins to stay in contention for the Pac-10 title. The Huskies round off a three-team race for first with two weekends remaining.

4. Arizona: (13-13, 7-7) — Sean Miller said it best: Mediocre. The Wildcats returned to .500 in a second straight home conference defeat. Losers in four of its last five, Arizona barely stays in contention for the Pac-10 title.

5. USC: (16-10, 8-6) — A huge win at Washington last Thursday kept the conference grounded. The Trojans know how to close out games, unlike most young teams in the conference.

6. UCLA: (12-14, 7-7) — The tradition of splits continued for the Bruins — they’ve only swept one conference weekend this entire season, which explains their even 7-7 record.

7. Stanford: (13-14, 7-8) — Landry Fields was named Pac-10 Player of the Week thanks to averaging 18.5 points per game across all 80 minutes last weekend.

8. Oregon State: (12-14, 6-8) —  A double-digit victory against California? Don’t count the Beavers out in the Pac-10 Tournament, especially if Roeland Schaftenaar continues to put up season-best performances.

9. Washington State: (16-11, 6-9) — Losers in six of their last eight games, the Cougars can salvage their season by knocking off the Huskies this weekend. (It feels like football season all over again.)

10. Oregon: (12-14, 4-10) — What’s worse: Five Ducks getting arrested on the football team this offseason, or this basketball season as a whole?