Artist Next Door: Born to dance

“”My parents are dancers so I’ve been around dance my whole life,”” dance junior Cameo Cross said. “”As soon as I could walk, they started teaching me how to dance.””

Since she began her career dancing West Coast swing, Cross has learned several forms of dance.

“”I do a little bit of everything,”” she said. “”Ballet is one of my favorites, along with ballroom dancing, but I do jazz and modern and tap as well.””

She said ballroom is one of her favorites because of the social aspect.

“”It’s just one way to interact and meet new people,”” she said, adding that it is also good exercise.

Cross said she learned several of her character traits from time spent in the dance world.

“”It’s given me a lot of confidence,”” she said. “”It’s taught me discipline and responsibility. Through middle school and high school, it kept me on track with good grades and just kept me occupied so I didn’t get into trouble.””

Cross has performed with the American Ballet Theatre, the Colorado Ballet and the San Francisco Conservatory of Dance. She now dances with the UA Dance Company, and recently performed in the production “”FIVE! An Extravaganza of Dance, Music and Art.””

The show was a celebration of the Stevie Eller Dance Theatre’s fifth anniversary.

Its second half featured Broadway star Liz Callaway, with whom Cross performed a waltz.

Although performing is a central part of being a dancer, Cross notes other aspects that are more exciting.

“”It’s a wonderful expression of your feelings,”” she said.

She said the best part about being in the dancing community is the bonds and closeness dancers share.

“”We spend most of our time together so we all become really close,”” Cross said. “”It really becomes like a second family. You know a lot of times you change studios or you change companies and it’s kind of like moving away from your family, but wherever you go everyone’s very friendly and, you know, welcomes you in. It’s a wonderful place to be. Everyone’s so supportive and it’s just a lot of fun.””