Soccer returns to Murphey Stadium tonight

The Arizona soccer team will host its first two home games this weekend, taking on Gonzaga and Hawaii in the Four Points Sheraton Cats Classic at Murphey Stadium.

The Wildcats (2-2-0) will take to the field against two teams they have never faced under head coach Dan Tobias, going up against the Bulldogs (3-0-1) at 7:30 tonight and playing Hawaii (3-1-0) at 1:30 p.m. Sunday.

Including Pacific, which will face Hawaii and Gonzaga but skip the Wildcats, all four teams have records of at least .500.

“”There is no reason to be anything but excited,”” Tobias said of the first home stand of the year. “”I think it’s more nerves than anything else.””

After splitting with Utah and Utah State last weekend, the Wildcats dropped out of the Top 25 poll, where they began the season at No. 17. Now they’re eager to take to their home field.

“”I am expecting two wins,”” said Gianna DeSaverio, a sophomore forward. “”It’s the first two home games, and there has been a lot of energy at practice.””

Despite the fact that he’s never had the task of preparing for this weekend’s opponents, Tobias said that he knows the coaches for both squads and is expecting them to be competitive. He added that instead of focusing on the opposition, he just wants the team to play to the best of its ability.

“”There is more emphasis on what we control,”” he said. “”We’re prepared for anything.””

Still, Tobias said he felt his club has yet to hit its stride.

“”We have yet to come close to playing our best 90 minutes,”” he said.

DeSaverio said she was unsettled about the team’s 2-1 loss to Utah, but the team will use it as motivation.

“”It will be just that much more reason to win,”” DeSaverio said. “”I feel like our team is good enough, and we just need to play our game.””

That sentiment was echoed by Tobias, who said aspects outside the physical realm of the game are holding the team back.

“”We need to minimize mental mistakes (by) communicating properly (and) recognizing transition,”” he said.

Which, according to Tobias, will all come with game experience, as most of the players on the field are still getting used to one another.

“”At one point we have had five freshmen on the field at once,”” he said. “”They are still learning how to play together.””