Study Abroad Fair directs students to international education opportunities

Savannah+Douglas++%2F+The+Daily+Wildcat%0A%0AMegan+McNaughton+%28left%29%2C+a+global+studies+freshman%2C+attends+the+University+of+Arizona+study+abroad+fair+on+Wednesday+at+the+UA+Student+Union+memorial+Center.+McNaughton+speaks+with+Sandra+Sherman+%28right%29%2C+a+Russian+and+global+studies+senior%2C+regarding+the+Russia+study+abroad+program.+
Savannah Douglas
Savannah Douglas / The Daily Wildcat Megan McNaughton (left), a global studies freshman, attends the University of Arizona study abroad fair on Wednesday at the UA Student Union memorial Center. McNaughton speaks with Sandra Sherman (right), a Russian and global studies senior, regarding the Russia study abroad program.

Students had the opportunity to hear from professors and peers who had firsthand study abroad experience during a campus fair on Wednesday.

The Study Abroad Fair showcased programs in countries all over the world and gave students the opportunity to walk from booth to booth and learn more about potential study abroad locations.

Chloe White, a psychology senior and student outreach coordinator for the UA study abroad program, said she had long wanted to gain a culturally unique experience, especially after her sister studied abroad.

As a junior, White got her chance. She traveled to Orvieto, Italy in the fall, then Prague, Czech Republic in the spring. White said the purpose of the fair is to teach students that studying abroad is beneficial for their education.

“I wanted to have an international education and be able to learn about the cultures as well,” White said. “It was the best experience I could have asked for.”

Megan McNaughton, a global studies freshman, said she wants to travel in order to get a firsthand look at everything she’s been learning about over the years. She said participating in Academic Decathlon, where she learned about Russia, furthered her interest in the country.

“I just got really pumped up about it, and I still am,” said McNaughton, who is currently enrolled in two Russia-related general education courses.

Sandra Sherman, a senior studying Russian and global studies, said she encourages McNaughton and other students to pursue a semester in Russia. Sherman learned more about the Russian culture and language by visiting the country for a full 10 weeks, the longest summer opportunity offered in Russia. She said the best part of studying abroad was getting the chance to meet other students who shared her interest in Russia and its culture.

However, international travel is not the only option for students who want a new experience. The UA also offers a National Student Exchange program for students who are interested in seeing other states in the U.S.

Laura Moedano, a senior studying global studies and philosophy, is an ambassador for the program. Moedano studied in Brazil and South Africa, as well as at the University of Georgia for a semester through the National Student Exchange program.

Moedano said she wanted to travel during college and took the opportunities as soon as she could.
“It was great,” she said. “I loved it.”

Moedano said she now advocates for the National Student Exchange program because she finds it a unique and cost-efficient way for students to travel.

“Each student just pays UA tuition directly because there’s a partnership with other universities,” Moedano said. “They can start networking, intern and look into places they might want to move to.”

For more information:

Post-informational sessions for all countries and their programs will take place Thursday through Tuesday. A photo and video contest reception will be held Thursday.