ASUA stalls on festival funds

Another delay in funding halted movement on Sen. Taylor Bilby’s Tanzbodeli project in order to allow more time for a more strategic marketing plan at the ASUA Senate meeting on Wednesday.

The mission of the music and art festival is to “”to unite the entire U of A student body to increase awareness of student talent on campus, as well as to raise money to contribute toward a cure for cancer,”” Bilby said.

Bilby’s plan was to have donations and marketing revenues to pay for the event, and an estimated admission price of $20 would go straight to raising money for the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, which donates 88 cents of every dollar donated to research.

An initial request of $900 for shirts and art posters, as a trial run for the success of future marketing of the event and the event itself, held an eventual promise of asking for around $5,050 from the senate to put on the show.

Senators expressed concerns about the initial requests’ timing and the proposed funding of the event in general.

One concern was that the headliner band, estimated to cost $17,000 to bring to campus, would stretch the event too thin both on funds and on money raised for research.

“”In the past, ASUA has been criticized a little bit for trying to overreach, and adding a charitable aspect of the breast cancer thing on top of the idea of increasing awareness of student art and things like that on campus, do we need another cause?”” said Associated Students of the University of Arizona Sen. Dominick San Angelo.

Other senators also had reservations.

“”I would prefer to see an event that earns more money than is put into it, regardless of where the funding is coming from,”” Sen. Chad Travis said, adding that Bilby’s $15,000 expected income from sponsorships and for matching funds and monetary donations from sources might not happen simply through donations.

Sen. Courtney Campbell said that waiting until spring to know who the bands and artists will be might make the shirts more effective than passing them out before winter break with the artists and bands still unknown.

The funds for shirts were left to be discussed at a later date.

ASUA Senate did pass funding for events this semester, such as fliers to advertise the holiday clothing drive later this semester and the appropriations board club funding agenda from their Monday meeting.