“‘Aqua Teen’ doesn’t leave you hungry, forces laughter”

In this scene from Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters, Meatwad is putting on a concert to attract women and decided to fire kittens out of cannons. As you can tell, a mess ensued, but so did laughter.
    In this scene from “”Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters,”” Meatwad is putting on a concert to attract women and decided to fire kittens out of cannons. As you can tell, a mess ensued, but so did laughter.

You could say that 2007 is shaping up to be a year full of TV shows making the leap to the silver screen with the “”Reno 911!”” movie and the long-awaited film version of “”The Simpsons”” set for a July debut. It’s hard enough to make a full-length movie out of a 30-minute show, but making one from a show that’s only 11 minutes seems downright psychotic. However, that’s just the type of gamble that the Adult Swim branch of Cartoon Network is willing to make, and against all odds “”Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film For Theaters”” manages to stretch out the madness to almost 90 minutes without losing focus.

For those unfamiliar with “”Aqua Teen Hunger Force,”” it follows the exploits (or lack thereof) of Frylock, Master Shake and Meatwad, three anthropomorphic fast-food items who reside in New Jersey next door to Carl, a pathetic slob who sports a gold chain and a thick Jersey accent.

Aliens, monsters and other villains whose grandiose plans are always sabotaged by their own stupidity constantly harass the main characters. The show is thoroughly bizarre, and the humor is definitely not for everyone. If you have the patience, though, it can be just as hilarious as anything else on TV.

The nature of the show provides quite a hurdle to making a movie out of it, but the plot, by “”Aqua Teen”” standards, is somewhat comprehensible. The trio discovers an exercise machine called the “”Insaneoflex”” that threatens to destroy the world, and they set out to find who built it and why. In the process, we learn more about the mysterious origins of the Aqua Teens.

The film features several popular recurring characters, including the Mooninites, the Plutonians and the Cybernetic Ghost of Christmas Past from the Future. The movie really delivers laughs, especially the very beginning, which is a side-splittingly funny parody of the old “”Let’s all go to the theater lobby”” cartoons that used to precede films decades ago.

Fans of Carl will be somewhat disappointed that he doesn’t have a bigger role, and Master Shake’s cruel antics aren’t quite used to their full potential, but Meatwad’s role and that of the supporting characters more than make up for it. Throughout the movie, there are all sorts of weird and hilarious scenes involving flaming chickens, Rush drummer Neil Peart, kittens being fired out of cannons and a flying watermelon. There are also brief voice cameos by Tina Fey and B-movie hero Bruce Campbell.

Not surprisingly, the movie doesn’t even break the 90-minute mark, but making it any longer would have been somewhat pointless. Because the show is on late-night cable, there’s a lot the cartoon can get away with in terms of violence and language, so the R rating doesn’t do much besides remove the bleeps over objectionable words. The ending is intentionally confusing and convoluted, and it lampoons movies that heap on “”shocking”” plot twists in the finale.

Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters
    Rated: R
    Length: 86 min.
    8/10

Don’t forget to stay during the credits; not only do they feature great songs by metalheads Unearth and indie rockers The Hold Steady, but there’s also a funny additional scene at the very end.

The bottom line is that this is a movie for fans of the show and pretty much no one else. It’s unlikely to make a lot of money, and will probably be panned by mainstream critics, but that doesn’t seem to be a concern of the filmmakers, because the fans will be too busy laughing their heads off to care.