HALFTIME: Arizona 20, Utah 7

Neither school has established a passing game through the first two quarters of tonight’s game. On the back of running back Ka’Deem Carey and the legs of quarterback B.J. Denker, Arizona leads Utah 20-7 at halftime.

Pressure on the Utes’ quaterback Tyler Wilson by the Wildcats’ defense also led to two interceptions. The first interception was by linebacker Marquis Flowers and was returned for a touchdown to give Arizona a 14-7 lead.

But it’s been the offense’s high tempo that has translated turnovers and punts into points.

Through the first half, Denker has two rushing touchdowns and 45 rushing yards. As a passer, Denker has had his moments but for the most part has yet to be a threat down field with only 83 passing yards on 15 attempts.

Carey, who surpassed the 3,000 career rushing mark midway through the second quarter has been his usual self so far. The junior has 102 rushing yards on 19 carries. Carey went for 30 yards on his first attempt of the game. Later in Arizona’s first drive, Carey took it 65 yards to the end zone, almost untouched, but it was called back because of a clock malfunction.

Arizona later scored a touchdown on the drive and took the first lead of the game as Denker scored from 10 yards out.

The Wildcats’ defense has been stouter tonight than they were last week against USC. UA defensive backs were attacked constantly and struggled to hang with the Trojans’ receivers. Tonight, Utah has had an even harder time opening up the passing game than Arizona.

Wilson, a dual-threat quarterback, has just 3 receptions on 15 passing attempts.

Utah’s lone touchdown came in the first quarter on a two-yard pass to Anthony Denham.

Senior cornerback Shaquille Richardson was on single man coverage with Denham when Utah scored the touchdown, but other than that he has had a productive game. Richardson has four tackles and caught the Wildcats’ second interception when Wilson overthrew his receiver early in the second quarter.

Late in the half, Adam Schulz replaced Wilson after an apparent hand injury. His status as of halftime is unknown. Unlike Wilson, the sophomore Schulz is much more of a threat as a passer than runner.