Important Big 12 match up has Arizona ties

Perhaps the biggest game for Texas Tech comes Saturday when the No. 2 Red Raiders travel to Norman to take No. 5 Oklahoma with both Big 12 Conference and national title implications at stake.

Arizona offensive coordinator Sonny Dykes is just two years removed from coaching Texas Tech. Wildcats head coach Mike Stoops also has a vested interest in the game, to say the least, given his brother, Bob Stoops, is the head coach of the Sooners and Mike used to be the defensive coordinator.

Despite the idea that the two coaches could possibly be talking some trash about their former schools, both Dykes and Stoops said it really hasn’t crossed their minds.

“”We hadn’t even had a conversation about it,”” Dykes said.

Added Mike Stoops: “”The game is played on the field and we just like watching. It will be a great spectator game and that’s kind of how we look at it. Sure, I have family there, but I like watching and it is good for college football.””

With Saturday’s Arizona game starting just an hour before the two schools battle in out in Oklahoma, the coaches would be lucky to catch the fourth quarter.

Both coaches affirmed they would like to see their former schools come away with the win, but with Oregon State looming on the schedule for Saturday, there has been hardly enough time to focus on anything else.

“”I know it is a big game, but we have a big game here,”” Dykes said. “”Oregon State is a hard team to prepare for and we have had our hands full trying to prepare for those guys, so maybe on Friday we may talk a little noise to each other or something.

“”We may get to watch the fourth quarter,”” Dykes added. “”Hopefully we’ll catch it after feeling good after beating Oregon State.””

Despite beating Oklahoma last season, Texas Tech hasn’t had much success in year’s past against the Sooners, especially in games played in Norman. The Red Raiders, who knocked off the Sooners 34-27 in Lubbock last season, have not won in Norman in four tries under current head coach Mike Leach.

Dykes, who knows a thing or two about Tech’s offense, has a theory as to why the Raiders have struggled against the Sooners.

“”(Oklahoma) did a good job with their schemes and what they always had was a great defensive line, and that was our deal at Tech,”” Dykes said. “”If they could pressure you with four people that was always going to be difficult to move the ball and that’s something Oklahoma could always do.

“”But, their d-line probably isn’t as good as it has been and Tech’s offensive line is probably a little better than they have been,”” Dykes added, “”so it will be fun to watch.””

As far as a prediction?

“”I don’t have any idea,”” Dykes said with a smile.