Analysis: Stopping LeFevour

The Central Michigan Chippewas have been a mid-major powerhouse for the past three years, thanks in large part to quarterback Dan LeFevour.

“”Dan’s brought a lot of stability to the program,”” Central Michigan head coach Butch Jones said. “”I can’t say enough about what he’s done. In his three years as a starting quarterback he’s led us to two conference championships and three straight bowl games.””

LeFevour has a strong throwing arm with good accuracy and he runs the ball like a fullback. If that doesn’t intimidate the Wildcat fan enough, then perhaps this will: LeFevour has been tabbed by media as the Tim Tebow of non-BCS schools.

What makes LeFevour so valuable, though, is his ability to lead and to make other players around him better.

“”He’s got a workman-like attitude, he’s extremely humble,”” Jones said. “”He elevates the games of others around him and I think that’s truly the mark of a great player.””

So how do the Wildcats defend against such a multi-talented QB?

“”He’s a very good quarterback so we can’t give him too many openings,”” senior UA safety Cam Nelson said. “”Our d-line has to get a lot of pressure on him, and our secondary is going to mix it up in the backend and try to confuse him.””

When defending a mobile quarterback a defense must adjust, and the player that has the most responsibility is the middle linebacker.

“”I’ll be doing a lot more than usual this week,”” middle linebacker Vuna Tuihalamaka said.

“”I’ll be doing a lot of spying on the quarterback, but chasing him around and trying to stop him is fun.””