Greatest women of soul will be channeled at concert

Grace+Pierson+%2F+The+Daily+Wildcat%0A%0AKatherine+Byrnes+is+a+singer+of+soul%2C+jazz%2C+and+R%26B+music.+Byrnes+will+be+performing+at+The+Ladies+of+Soul%3A+From+Aretha+to+Adele+event+this+weekend.++
    Grace Pierson
    Grace Pierson / The Daily Wildcat Katherine Byrnes is a singer of soul, jazz, and R&B music. Byrnes will be performing at The Ladies of Soul: From Aretha to Adele event this weekend.

Today Katherine Byrnes will sing songs from the best of the women in R&B and soul. Performing at Tohono Chul Park, Byrnes will be soulfully serenading her audience under the stars.

Tohono Chul Park is a 49-acre preserve with a mission to connect people with “the wonders of nature, art and culture,” and to show audiences the natural beauty that this part of the state has to offer. This show will be outside, and according to one of the producers of this concert, the stars will be shining bright.

Byrnes is a local Tucsonan and shows her support of the park. She said she finds it to be a beautiful place to perform, as it is one of her favorite places in Tucson. While Byrnes grew up in Tucson, she hasn’t spent all of her time performing here. She has also performed with Amos Lee, the UA’s Jazz Orchestra and Art.if.Act Dance Company.

While she specializes in R&B, Byrnes is also versed in other genres. Her voice has been described as unique, and she told Tucson Weekly that it’s more of a big-band singer’s voice with some modern and pop stylistic choices. She has traveled all over the U.S., and eventually settled back in Tucson with a music degree from the UA.

College students and their parents alike may enjoy the show. Byrnes will perform artists such as Adele, while still keeping in touch with R&B’s roots and connecting with an older audience, with artists such as Aretha Franklin and Etta James.

According to Byrnes, this music is commonly played on the radio or in bars; so, for UA students, the show is a unique “chance to see it live and take advantage of the amazing outdoor Tucson weather.” The ticket prices drop to $15 with a student ID.

The powerhouse R&B women of the ’60s and ’70s have had a hand in shaping today’s pop music. They have influenced some of the biggest modern musicians, and even Adele counts James as one of her most influential musical role models.

Byrnes said she hopes to highlight the relationship between modern musicians and their classic R&B counterparts at this show. As Byrnes pointed out, R&B is an “all encompassing genre,” meaning that her concert could include music from various genres, from rhythm and blues, to soul and rock and roll.

Admission is $15 for students and $25 for standard tickets when purchased online. Door prices for standard tickets will be $30. The show starts at 7 p.m.