Fall sporting events to-do list

Colin Darland  / Arizona Daily Wildcat

The Arizona Wildcats kicked off the 2009-2010 Mens Basketball Season at McKale Memorial Center November 1st, 2009 with the annual Red/Blue game.
Colin Darland
Colin Darland / Arizona Daily Wildcat The Arizona Wildcats kicked off the 2009-2010 Men’s Basketball Season at McKale Memorial Center November 1st, 2009 with the annual Red/Blue game.

• Football home opener against The Citadel on Sept. 11.

At this point, football season will have officially begun in Tucson. The Citadel isn’t the type of opponent to sell out stadiums, but this is a game you must attend, since it’s the first Wildcat home game.

• Men’s hoops Red/Blue game Oct. 24

A year after not making the postseason for the first time in 25 years, this will be the first look at what should be an improved Arizona basketball team. The Red/Blue game is usually a time for new students to get their first taste of one of the best college basketball atmospheres in the nation at McKale Center.

• Homecoming game against Washington on Oct. 23

The homecoming game is usually the grand finale to a long morning filled with homecoming activities. Last year’s homecoming game was a boring 48-7 Arizona win against the Pac-10 football doormat Washington State. This year should be a much more competitive game against Washington. Wildcats fans may get a chance to see the 2011 NFL Draft’s potential No. 1 pick in Washington quarterback Jake Locker.

• Duel in the Desert football game on Dec. 2

This is the game all Wildcat fans will have waited all season to see, and this year it’s back at Arizona Stadium.  Arizona has beaten Arizona State the last two years and will be trying for a third straight win against the hated Sun Devils. Will the Territorial Cup stay in Tucson or return to Tempe?

• Football home game against USC Nov. 13

Last season, Arizona won for the first time ever against USC under head coach Mike Stoops. Arizona and USC football games are always intense; this season will be no different. Though USC is banned from postseason play for the next two years, the Arizona fans dislike for the Trojans will continue.