MBB Notebook: Tommy Lloyd lands 4-star recruit for 2024 class and Arizona moves up to No. 5

Jackie Cabrera

Arizona men’s basketball player Kylan Boswell celebrates his teammate’s 3-point score on Dec. 13, 2022 in McKale Center. The Wildcats won the game against Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi with a score of 99-61.

First recruit of the 2024 class

The Arizona Wildcats men’s basketball team has picked up their first player for the 2024 recruiting class. Four-star shooting guard Jamari Phillips announced on December 18 that he has committed to play for Tommy Lloyd.

Phillips is ranked as the 25th best prospect and 6th best shooting guard in the 2024 class according to 247sports.

Arizona is also in the mix for another top-15 prospect from California, Carter Bryant. Bryant is a five-star recruit and would be the highest rated player Lloyd would bring to Arizona.

Wildcats moved up in recent AP Poll

After Arizona beat No.6 Tennessee 75-70 at McKale center this past Saturday, they moved up four spots to No.5 in the latest AP Poll. This is the Wildcats fourth straight week being in the AP top-10 in the country.

The Wildcats have now beat four ranked teams in the country, which is the most in college basketball.

Arizona has two games before they face off another top 25 team in the country. That team is their biggest rival, Arizona State University who are now ranked No.25 in the latest poll.

IARP Investigation is over

The five year investigation on Arizona’s basketball program because of multiple violations that occurred in 2017 is finally over.

Since Arizona self imposed themselves a postseason ban during the 2020 season, they received limited penalties. Arizona will have to a $5,000 fine and will lose one scholarship for their upcoming 2023 recruiting class.

Former Arizona assistant coaches Book Richardson and Mark Phelps received the biggest penalties. Richardson has received a 10-year show-cause penalty while Phelps got a two year show-cause penalty.

Preview vs. Montana State

Arizona faces off against Montana State at McKale center in Tucson, Arizona tonight at 6:30 p.m.

The Wildcats are 21 point favorites over the Bobcats as they look to extend their home winning streak to 26 games.

If Arizona can win this game, it will extend their winning streak on the season to six games and would move to 11-1.

Follow Ryan Wohl on Twitter