Students get creative in Scott & Co. exhibition

Ginny Polin
Ginny Polin / Arizona Daily Wildcat kayla Ihrig is one of the Curator for a upcoming art exhibition called Casted Conversations that will open on Wednesday april 20th from 6pm-11pm at the scott and & co. The show is a group exhibition of local artists that are addressing the balance between natural and the constructed world.

Next Wednesday evening, the coarse, earthy bricks of the self-described speakeasy, Scott & Co., 47 N. Scott Ave., will hold more than just the din of Tucsonan chatter and the clinking of exquisitely crafted cocktails between its walls. From 6 p.m. to 11 p.m., fine arts seniors Kayla Ihrig and Jason Sims will curate “”Casted Conversations,”” an exhibition of encaustic works by local artists Diane Aldrich Kleiss and Sherrie Posternak.

The exhibition began as a semester-long project Ihrig and Sims took on for a graduate-level course at the university. “”We start(ed) from day one just trying to figure out what (art Yasel Mendoza-Patterson is singing, and Alejandro Ochoa de Miguel work) we like(d) and where we’d like to plan (the exhibition),”” Ihrig said. “”We had the freedom of doing a more traditional gallery space or something like (Scott & Co.), where this is the first time they’ve ever hosted an art gallery or anything like it.””

Scott & Co.’s owners welcomed the proposal of “”Casted Conversations”” setting up shop for an evening. With the owners on board and Scott & Co.’s bare brick walls looking ideal for the hanging of artwork, Ihrig and Sims solidified their decision to bring their exhibition to the heady speakeasy. A well-stocked and staffed bar seemed the perfect pairing for the encaustic works up for sale — an evening of fine tastes of the tongue and eye awaits those curious to discover what “”Casted Conversations”” was all about.

“”(Sims and I) both primarily work with photography,”” Ihrig said. “”So it was natural to think about producing a photography exhibition. However, once we (chose) Scott & Co. for the venue, we decided (to) push ourselves and bring in work that would really thrive in that space, which (ended up being the) encaustic painting.””

The event aims to address the relationship between the natural and created worlds through the artists’ manipulation of poured wax.

“”Sherrie, she works alternatively, and sometimes she bases (her work) loosely off of photographs,”” Ihrig said. “”Diane, she’s working with found (objects) and (pieces) of the earth, incorporating (them into) the beeswax.””

Ihrig and Sims chose pieces from Kleiss’ and Posternak’s works that particularly exemplified complex textures and vibrant bursts of color.

This will be Ihrig’s second time curating an exhibition, an opportunity that Ihrig believes will equip her with vital information she needs to know as a professional artist.

“”I understand the perspective of a curator, and I’ve learned some steps that an artist can do to make the curator’s job run a lot more smoothly,”” Ihrig said. “”Simple steps (like) knowing exactly what information the curators will be looking for and information they will want for a press release, (along with) other promotional work. (I) make their job a little easier, and in return, they will know I’m a great artist to work with, which will hopefully result in (more) shows.””

With the exhibition only a week away, Ihrig admits to experiencing moments of nervousness after dedicating months to planning and organizing the event. “”I’m most excited for people to experience a non-traditional art space and the community coming together for (this kind of) event,”” Ihrig said. “”We hope to have people from all different backgrounds stop in, grab a drink and enjoy the art while meeting both Jason and I and the artists.””

An evening of artistic immersion, socializing and sipping on premium cocktails could be the ideal midweek rejuvenation — experience some, network some, lay back some. “”Casted Conversations”” sounds like a win-win.