Arizona splits against Oregon teams

Freshman forward Analisa Marquez (21) prepares to net her first career goal in Arizonas 2-0 win over Oregon State yesterday at Murphey Stadium. She scored the goal after being in the game for less than three minutes.
    Freshman forward Analisa Marquez (21) prepares to net her first career goal in Arizona’s 2-0 win over Oregon State yesterday at Murphey Stadium. She scored the goal after being in the game for less than three minutes.

After losing its Pacific 10 Conference opener to Oregon on Friday, the No. 24 Arizona soccer team regained some of its composure and shut out Oregon State 2-0 yesterday at Murphey Stadium.

“”I wasn’t surprised by how we came out against the Beavers, took better care of the ball and created more chances to score,”” UA head coach Dan Tobias said.

The Wildcats (8-5-0, 1-1 Pac-10) were on the attack for the majority of yesterday’s game, out-shooting Oregon State (8-3-2, 1-1) 21 to 13.

Arizona’s aggressiveness was exemplified by freshman forward Analisa Marquez, who scored her first career goal on an assist from sophomore forward Gianna DeSaverio at the 33:33 mark, less than three minutes after she was brought into the game as a substitute for sophomore forward Sally Thurner.

“”Every game we expect to play well, but a lot of that is predicated on sharing the workload,”” Tobias said. “”That showed today in Analisa. She has been earning more and more time throughout the season, and she did a great job today.””

DeSaverio later scored a goal of her own 53:56 into the game, giving the Wildcats all the scoring they would need.

“”We have great depth at each position,”” junior defender Claire Bodiya said. “”We just need to keep working hard and improve every game – and help each other improve as well.””

Tobias credited this win to what he saw as tight and organized defense by the team.

“”We were closer to the level of consistency where we need to be,”” he said.

That wasn’t the case on Friday, when Arizona dropped its Pac-10 opener to the Ducks (8-5, 2-0).

“”We certainly made the conference season harder for ourselves by losing the opener,”” Tobias said. “”We just weren’t precise enough.””

Arizona nearly tied the game at 1 in the first half when freshman forward Laura Huylebroeck appeared to have netted her second goal of the season, but the goal was taken away when she was called for an offsides penalty.

The second half proved to be more promising for the Wildcats, as they stepped up their offensive game. Although Arizona converted only one of its 15 shot attempts in the half, many of them missed by mere inches.

Freshman midfielder Jacqueline Broussard scored the Wildcats’ first goal at the 24:35 mark on an assist by freshman midfielder Lindsay Lum.

“”I got the ball on the left side, and I played it up the middle,”” Broussard said. “”Their outside mid(fielders) were way outside, and I had a clear shot, and I took advantage of it.””

Oregon came out strong early, scoring first at the 22:21 mark off the foot of senior forward Nicole Garbin.

She later scored Oregon’s second goal in the second half, tying a school record with 69 career goals.

“”When she scored those two goals, our defense was loose,”” Tobias said. “”Good players like that are going to take advantage of you if you’re not tight as a team.””

Broussard said the team’s Friday loss should be motivation to be more consistent in the future.

“”We just have to put this game behind us and learn from it,”” she said. “”We have a lot of games ahead of us.””