Hart presents at reunion dinner hosted by Alumni Association

Robert Alcaraz / Arizona Daily Wildcat President Hart speaks to the 1952 UA graduating class at their 50th anniversary at the University Marriot on Nov. 8.

A reunion dinner for the class of 1962 Thursday night gave Wildcats the opportunity to mingle, share stories and reflect on where the UA is now.

The dinner, hosted by the UA Alumni Association, also featured presentations from President Ann Weaver Hart and Rocky LaRose, the deputy director for athletics, as well as a reception for the alumni with live music, a bar and hors d’oeuvres. About 130 people attended.

“Obviously we have made major strides in this beautiful campus,” Hart said during her speech, “but I hope you recognize some key features that you loved.”

LaRose, an alumna of the class of 1979, told the gathered alumni, “I know none of us would want to live our lives without the incredible memories we’ve shared here, and the friendships, and of course those victories.”

She spoke at length about the UA’s athletic accomplishments in the past 50 years, and expressed optimism for the future.

“I think the next 50 years look just as bright, we’re pretty excited about the new leadership of President Hart, and of our athletic director Greg Byrne.”

LaRose added, “We have some exciting things happening, a lot of good coaches on board, Coach Rodriguez this year, Jim Anderson in golf, and of course all of our steady group that have brought us all these great successes.”

There were many alumni from the class of 1962 present, but also a number who graduated in other years.

Lynn Johnson Engel, the chair of the governing board of the Alumni Association and a member of the class of 1976, said she keeps coming back to the UA because of the connection she feels to it.

“I have a love and a passion for this university,” she said. “It keeps me connected to a place that I love very much.”