“New section, seniors to graduate with rest of class”

The journalism department this week added an additional section of a required class that will allow seniors who had been unable to add the class to graduate as expected in May.

The fifth section of journalism 413, Reporting Public Affairs, will be taught by professor David Cuillier, who will now teach two sections.

Students on the class’ waiting list were sent e-mails informing them that the new section would be offered. The section has 20 seats available, but so far only three students have registered, said senior academic adviser Paul Johnson.

“”There are 20 seats in the section, and it doesn’t look like we are going to fill it by any means,”” Johnson said.

One explanation for the low response could be that students did not see the notice.

The department will continue to offer the fifth section of the class in the future as part of an ongoing attempt to accommodate large senior classes, Johnson said.

The department, which has grown rapidly over the past five years, has been working to offer required classes to growing groups of seniors. Additional sections of required courses such as Reporting Public Affairs have been opened in the hopes that more students will be able to graduate on time.

Additionally, the department has hired two new faculty members who will begin teaching in the fall.

For now, seniors who were unable to add the class said they are thankful for the new openings.

Robert Watkins, who was facing a delay in graduation because Reporting Public Affairs was full, said he is relieved the section will be offered.

“”Now, I’m supposedly going to graduate on time,”” Watkins said. “”Now I’m going to graduate and fulfill my goals I had before this semester.””