HPD: Local toddler killed when father backed out of driveway

A 20-month-old boy who died Sunday was struck by his father’s Dodge Nitro as the father was backing out of the driveway at the family’s home, police said Tuesday.

Damian Ethan Delgado, 1, was the son of Julie and Hercules Delgado, according to a Valley Morning Star obituary notice.

The accident occurred in the 1400 block of South Dakota Street, according to a report released by the Harlingen Police Department.

However, HPD Sgt. John Parrish refused to release the names of the boy and his parents. All three were named in an obituary submitted to the Star.

The accident occurred in the driveway of the boy’s parents’ home but police instead were summoned to Harlingen Medical Center about 5:52 p.m., the police report states.

“”Upon arrival, officers made contact with a 21-year-old female Harlingen resident,”” the report states.

“”The female reported that earlier her husband, a 27-year-old male Harlingen resident, had backed his vehicle (a black Dodge Nitro) out of their driveway and had struck their 20-month-old son,”” the police report states. “”The family then immediately drove their son to Harlingen Medical Center for treatment.””

“”The 20-month-old child was pronounced dead at the hospital at 6:59 p.m.,”” the report states.

“”The incident occurred at the family’s residence on the 1400 block of South Dakota.””

“”The incident is currently under investigation.””

Parrish, who prepared the report, refused to name the boy or his parents, recommending the Star file a Texas Public Information Act request.

Police will then ask for an attorney general’s opinion on whether the names legally have to be released, he said.

City Attorney Roxann Cotroneo said late Tuesday she is not familiar with the situation and will have to review the police incident report before commenting on whether the names should be released by police.